HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

New member: owingswd

Go down 
AuthorMessage
owingswd

Registration date : 2019-03-26

New member: owingswd Empty
PostSubject: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyTue Mar 26, 2019 11:19 pm

Howdy!

Irregular pipe smoker, recently retired Judge in a small town in Alabama. Enjoying my pipes and now setting about reading about a thousand books I’ve been setting aside for years, meaning to read. Still getting used to waking up in the morning with no place to go!

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I made a trip to Chicago to see my 2 year old granddaughter, and while there, I finally made the pilgrimage to Iwan Ries, reputedly the oldest tobacco shop in the U.S. (In case you’ve ever wondered, like I have, that’s pronounced “Eeevan Reees”. The gentleman was German.) Bought a spiffy new pipe and some tobacco, and enjoyed the afternoon mightily.

Just finished a book: How to Read Water (can’t figure out italics on this newfangled system, yet) by Tristan Gooley. Fascinating book, actually about watching water, from puddles all the way to oceans, and everything in between. Highly recommended, if you’re interested in such things.

All the best—
Bill

Last edited by owingswd on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyTue Mar 26, 2019 11:51 pm

Welcome aboard, Bill, and congratulations on your recent retirement. I hope you stick around and get to meet some of the fellas (and ladies) around here. It's a good bunch of eggs with a wealth of knowledge and generous spirit.

Best,

Loren (aka Briar Beagle)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 2:34 am

Welcome aboard the good ship BoB, I hope you enjoy both your time here and your retirement sir.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 2:53 am

Welcome to our little corner of the Internet, Bill. I'm glad you found us.

Congratulations on your retirement; I would love to have lie in once in a while!

Best wishes,

Stick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
owingswd

Registration date : 2019-03-26

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 6:41 am

Many thanks on the greetings. A hearty welcome in a new place warms like a winter fire.

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 7:11 am

Warmest welcome Bill from a fellow recent retiree. BoB is a great place to hang.

Cheers,

RR

New member: owingswd Purple11x 2New member: owingswd Bombx10  New member: owingswd Bombx6New member: owingswd D6bddf10 New member: owingswd 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 7:59 am

Welcome to BoB. Congratulations on your retirement, can't wait for that day myself. Lots of great folks here with tons of info.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 10:27 am

Welcome to BoB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 11:46 am

Welcome to BoB, Bill! I hope you enjoy your time here

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Puffy

Puffy

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Welcome Aboard
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Welcome, Bill. I have wanted to visit Iwan Ries, that must have been a great experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

Registration date : 2016-10-16

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 7:03 pm

Welcome
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 7:26 pm

Welcome to the forum sir!

I've got a copy of that book here somewhere... Have you read "Salt, A World History"? Fascinating work.....

So, what blends of tobacco hold your interest?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 8:06 pm

I second Ozzie’s vote, Salt is an awesome book, I just re-read it for the third time. Absolutely absorbing. Makes me want to track down Mark Kurlansky’s other books on Cod and the Basque people.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 9:51 pm

Welcome to our corner of the internet! Lots of fun folks here! Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 11:01 pm

Welcome!  I like to sit on the dock and watch the water. It's very soothing, except for the occasional interruption of a catfish jumping out of the water! That book is now on my list also!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 6:20 am

Welcome to the forum!

One of these days I will also make the pilgrimage to Iwan Ries.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
laffyridge

laffyridge

Registration date : 2019-03-29

PostSubject: Re: New member: owingswd   New member: owingswd EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 2:40 pm

Welcome! Would love to visit Iwan Ries someday!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

New member: owingswd
Page 1 of 1