HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Top 10 American makers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

Top 10 American makers  Empty
PostSubject: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 10:35 am

One of my top 10 American makers is this wonderfully craggy pipe by Michael Butera, keeping it smokey with some Dunhill Dark Flake, what makers are in your top 10 American makers?
banjo

Top 10 American makers  33665743798_c9060237b5_z_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 11:46 am

Good to see you sir! Was missing you!

Honestly, I don't have pipes from ten different makers, but so far all have been fine smokers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeKing David

Registration date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 12:11 pm

I have three pipes carved by the late Bob Hayes and they are all fantastic smokers; he's my favorite.
Tim West gets another vote from me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rgcurrey

rgcurrey

Registration date : 2019-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Well, I only have one but it is perfectly made and smokes like a dream, a Maddis Pipe by Michael Addis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 2:04 pm

Jeff Gracik, Brad Pohlmann, Rad Davis, and Ernie Markle immediately come to mind for me, though they all come with a rather significant price tag.  I've also been following the work of Jeremiah Sandahl rather closely as of late, and will likely commission another pipe from him in the near future. Abe Herbaugh also gets a nod.

BB
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 2:23 pm

Mark Tinsky.  He is the only artisan pipe maker that I have a pipe from. Jesse Jones would be another on the list. Soon to buy one of his pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 2:45 pm

Lessee, in no particular order-

Jesse Jones
Mark Tinsky
Rad Davis
Growley
Randy Wiley
RDPipes
Scottie Piersel
Joe Hinkle

Think that's it but may have missed one. And good to see you posting again Mr. Banjo!

Cheers,

RR

Top 10 American makers  Purple11x 2Top 10 American makers  Bombx10  Top 10 American makers  Bombx3Top 10 American makers  D6bddf10 Top 10 American makers  44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com Online
Hermit

Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyFri Apr 05, 2019 2:51 pm

I was a big fan of Rad Davis and Brian Ruthenberg,
(neither of whom are still making pipes.)
I have twenty-seven Tinskys...that should be a clue.  Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Top 10 American makers   Top 10 American makers  EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Only one, and to me the best...Ron Powell of RdPipes...back in business in the near future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Only one, Missouri Meerschaum ftw!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rail Man

Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 1:26 pm

I only have a handful of examples from American carvers but I would certainly place them among the best:

Larry Roush
Mark Tinsky

And a young carver, Clark Layton. I only have one of his pieces but it’s great, been admiring his work through Instagram.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 6:53 am

Of the current offerings, Ryan Alden has to be a top choice (and a heck of a nice guy).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 12:12 pm

While I do not own any of his pipes, I'm surprised JT Cooke is not mentioned. The prices and availability notwithstanding, maybe they aren't good smokers?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 4:33 pm

Here are the 10 I posted elsewhere, the last part of the post says a lot because Jack Howell, Growley, Tinsky and many more could rotate into the top 10 at any time.

In no particular order mine are:

Michael Butera (own 2)
Trevor Talbert (own 8 )
Scottie Piersel (own 2)
JT Cooke (own 9)
Rad Davis (own 3)
Brian Ruthenberg (own 3)
Jesse Jones
David Huber
Nate King
Bill Shalosky

Admittedly there are more that I could put in there any given day!
banjo

Zeno Marx wrote:
While I do not own any of his pipes, I'm surprised JT Cooke is not mentioned.  The prices and availability notwithstanding, maybe they aren't good smokers?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
While I do not own any of his pipes, I'm surprised JT Cooke is not mentioned.  The prices and availability notwithstanding, maybe they aren't good smokers?

I think his pricing has driven him out of most pipers budgets. I cant recall the last time someone said they had a new Cooke (he is of course a fabulous craftsman). Is he still making pipes, and hitting the shows?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyTue Apr 09, 2019 8:58 pm

I do not have anything in the category of hand carved pipes. A few cobs though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Gee, looking at my pipe racks I'm almost ashamed to realize how unpatriotic my choice in pipe makers seems to make me out to be.  Not too many American artisans standing out.  There are 8 Trevor Talberts, 1 Scott Klein, and 3 oldie but goodies by Elliott Nachwalter.  The standout of his, and a real personal fave is a beautiful signature smooth bent Dublin with beautiful plateau I bought directly from him around 15 years ago.

All the rest are from across the seas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 American makers    Top 10 American makers  EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 7:46 pm

riff raff wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:

I think his pricing has driven him out of most pipers budgets.  I cant recall the last time someone said they had a new Cooke (he is of course a fabulous craftsman).   Is he still making pipes, and hitting the shows?  

I've looked at his pipes on line and have read the accolades. They very occasionally pop up on the estate sites. Even then, they are far beyond my means. And I don't say this as a negative, as I'm sure they are worth it.

I love his unique blasts and they are one of a kind. Sadly, it's only the cost that prevents me from owning one. Be that as it may. I can still enjoy his creations vicariously.

Cheers,

RR

Top 10 American makers  Purple11x 2Top 10 American makers  Bombx10  Top 10 American makers  Bombx3Top 10 American makers  D6bddf10 Top 10 American makers  44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com Online

Top 10 American makers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: