HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Great-granddad’s Meerschaum

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rail Man

Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  Empty
PostSubject: Great-granddad’s Meerschaum    Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 11:49 pm

No one in my immediate family smoked a pipe but my great grandfather did and luckily the meerschaum was kept and eventually passed on to me. He was born in Austria in 1877 and immigrated with is parents in 1882 to western Wisconsin. As a young man he homesteaded in North Dakota where he stayed until his death in 1954. Unfortunately it’s unknown when or where he acquired the pipe or what he smoked in it and there are no markings on the pipe. Given the color I’d say he smoked it quite a bit! Given its fragility I wouldn’t attempt to smoke it but it has a place to be displayed in my living room.

I do like the carving, a content pipe smoking man and his faithful dog.

Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  F125fe10

Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  A2ea4310

Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  C4eb0710
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Great-granddad’s Meerschaum    Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 7:19 am

What a great chunk of family history!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  Purple11x 2Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  Bombx10  Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  Bombx8 Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  D6bddf10 Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Idlefellow

Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Great-granddad’s Meerschaum    Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 9:58 am

Very cool! Beautiful pipe; thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Valdus

Valdus

Registration date : 2019-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Great-granddad’s Meerschaum    Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 am

Beautiful heirloom. I am not sure if I have the willpower to not try to smoke it.
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Great-granddad’s Meerschaum    Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 11:42 am

RM, what's the condition of the amber (I think) stem! This will probably determine whether to smoke the pipe. The meer itself shouldn't be a problem.
Back to top Go down
Rail Man

Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Great-granddad’s Meerschaum    Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  EmptyThu Jun 06, 2019 11:19 pm

Thanks everyone, it’s pretty neat to have a physical connection to a great grandfather that died 30 years before I was born, a lot different from just a photograph (which are also nice too).

As for the stem I don’t believe it’s amber, it seems to be some kind of synthetic material. It’s in good shape but would need a good cleaning to be smoked. Where it attaches to the shank it’s a bit loose, I don’t really want to try to separate it for fear of cracking something. It would be fun to smoke but it’s nice to just admire it too.
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Great-granddad’s Meerschaum    Great-granddad’s Meerschaum  EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 11:54 am

If not amber, good chance it's Bakelite. cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down

Great-granddad’s Meerschaum
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: