HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Grandpa's old pipe

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BVulgaris

Registration date : 2019-05-28

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 12:59 pm

This might not be the section to post this in. If so sorry!

So when I was about 6 years old I made a mistake that has been bugging me like a grain of sand in an oyster.

I broke my grandfather's cutty pipe stem. I found it in a locked away drawer in my dad's study thought it was cool and promptly broke it (I don't remember how).

Moving time forward, I'm now in my early thirties and am enamored with the shape and proportions of this pipe. Unfortunately, I've never been able to find a pipe with the same pronounced bowl, nub placement, and solid design.

I recently bought a cutty from The Country Squire because it was the closest I could find to it.
https://www.thecountrysquireonline.com/product/briarworks-classic-c141-cutty-light-smooth/

But it really doesn't compare.

I'm planning on finding a replacement stem and hopefully learn enough to repair my grandfather's but I was wondering if anyone could offer any information about what style or possible manufacturer from a picture of the pipe (shot in the dark). I don't have the pipe in my possession at the moment but I will within the year and can look for more markings or stamps on the case. Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to the type of stem and know of a site or youtube video on how to repair a stem like this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also on the lookout for any manufacturers that make pipes like this.

Thank you for your time!

Grandpa's old pipe Img_3310
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob

Registration date : 2012-01-07

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyThu Jul 04, 2019 1:20 pm

That's a meerschaum cutty with an amber stem, probably at least 100 years old. They are around, new ones will have to come from Turkey as meerschaum is no longer exported. Also it's very hard to source real amber, it will have a plastic substitute.

Here's one I picked up about 20 years ago, it's got a real amber stem and real meerschaum, made in Vienna, probably around 1890-1910.

I could be talked out of it so PM me if interested.

Grandpa's old pipe Img_8512

Grandpa's old pipe Img_8510

Grandpa's old pipe Img_8511
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BVulgaris

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyThu Jul 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Thank you very much for the information!

As soon as I started looking for meerschaum cuttys I found one example of a similar style.

BTW, I love yours. Looks a lot like the clay cutties with the red coating.

I'm finding that basically all manufacturers are producing pipes with a smaller angle between the stem and bowl.

I'm guessing i'd have to get a custom build or refurbish an antique pipe to get that specific style.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyThu Jul 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Yep, this has been sitting around for a while, it's briar with meerschaum insert that's cracked as well as cracked stem.....

Grandpa's old pipe Img_8513
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyThu Jul 04, 2019 3:06 pm

BV...Any number of fine pipe repair folks can replace (most likely with acrylic "faux" amber) the stem on your Grandfather's pipe. Look for them under the "Commercial" tab "Links. Real amber would be a tough find, and expensive! Good luck cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BVulgaris

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 11:45 am

Anyone know what style of cutty this might be called?
I've noticed that mainly only antique pipes have this very forward cant and longer egg or acorn shape.

Recoil Rob, that is a beautiful piece btw. You said it has a meerschaum insert? Is it for the bowl?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 11:47 am

Yes, the bowl has a meerschaum liner that's cracked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyTue Jul 09, 2019 8:38 am

That is a gorgeous old cutty!

No on makes this specific style of cutty anymore, but if you wanted a faithful reproduction, you could get an artisan carver to make it. I'm not specifically volunteering (although I could do it), but I can think of several artists that have the skill required for such a delicate pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyTue Jul 09, 2019 10:22 am

Ocelot55 wrote:
That is a gorgeous old cutty!

No on makes this specific style of cutty anymore, but if you wanted a faithful reproduction, you could get an artisan carver to make it. I'm not specifically volunteering (although I could do it), but I can think of several artists that have the skill required for such a delicate pipe.

This...but likely in Briar as opposed to a meer...our dear Scotty Piersel!

https://ladybriar.com/gallery

Or this...

https://www.altinokpipes.com/CS1006-meerschaum-cutty

And, of interest...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/new-meerschaum-cutty-pipes

Grandpa's old pipe D6bddf10Grandpa's old pipe 29400910Grandpa's old pipe 114e6110Grandpa's old pipe Ddb39b10Grandpa's old pipe Cf77ce10Grandpa's old pipe Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BVulgaris

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyTue Jul 09, 2019 11:56 am

Ocelot55, completely rough estimate.. how much would an artisan charge for something like that?

Blackhorse, those pipes in the gallery are beautiful! The sitting cutty is quite a nice design, closer to what I was looking for.

Thank you all for your help.

Again, I don't know why i'm attracted to this style of cutty but I really like them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyWed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 am

BVulgaris wrote:
Ocelot55, completely rough estimate.. how much would an artisan charge for something like that?

Blackhorse, those pipes in the gallery are beautiful! The sitting cutty is quite a nice design, closer to what I was looking for.

Thank you all for your help.

Again, I don't know why i'm attracted to this style of cutty but I really like them.

We all have our own favourite shapes and sizes for pipes. Probably why there are so many! Welcome to the club! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyThu Jul 11, 2019 9:35 pm

BVulgaris wrote:

Like anything, name is important, but just to toss out some averages, I'd say you're looking at between $275 - $500. Scottie Piersel would be a good choice since she's familiar with very thin shanked pipes like that. You might want to check out Ryan Alden, or hell, I could do it too. That shape isn't very mainstream, but I have done several cuttys before.

Here is a traditional cutty I did with a tan sandblast and silver band last year. Adding a longer shank would be difficult, but not impossible.

Grandpa's old pipe Adcc020a15d95c09-DSC_0403
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Grandpa's old pipe Img_0510
This one is kinda like it!! Crafted by our own Ron Powell of RDPipes!! Very Happy Very Happy cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Grandpa's old pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandpa's old pipe   Grandpa's old pipe EmptySat Jul 13, 2019 9:44 am

Great work from both Ron and Ocelot. We sure do have a lot of talent around here.

Grandpa's old pipe D6bddf10Grandpa's old pipe 29400910Grandpa's old pipe 114e6110Grandpa's old pipe Ddb39b10Grandpa's old pipe Cf77ce10Grandpa's old pipe Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Grandpa's old pipe
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: