HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

A day in the mountains

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

A day in the mountains Empty
PostSubject: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 4:33 pm

I took a friend on a big adventure at the weekend.  He's keen to learn the noble art of mountaineering so I hatched a cunning plan and took him to a favourite route of mine that is very Alpine in its nature.  Me in the blue lid...

A day in the mountains P1060311

A day in the mountains P1060313

A day in the mountains Img_8710
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveMKentucky

SteveMKentucky

Registration date : 2018-03-23

PostSubject: Wow   A day in the mountains EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Superb!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 5:58 pm

VERY cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loneredtree

loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 7:14 pm

Nice route. Good view and exposure. What class?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyMon Jul 22, 2019 10:22 pm

That an amazing view there. I do love climbing, it has been years since I have gone at all that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 12:45 am

I once climbed Mt. Hood here in Oregon (11,244 ft) and the southernmost of the Three Sisters (10,363 ft).  Yeah, years ago...but well remembered.

Mt. Hood

A day in the mountains 30372910

Two of the Three Sisters (Faith, Hope & Charity)

A day in the mountains 799f8110

A day in the mountains D6bddf10A day in the mountains 29400910A day in the mountains 114e6110A day in the mountains Ddb39b10A day in the mountains Cf77ce10A day in the mountains Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 6:26 pm

loneredtree wrote:
Nice route. Good view and exposure. What class?

British V Diff so nothing too epic. A fine airy route with lots of exposure, good gear, and stunning scenery. Perfect!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 6:28 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I once climbed Mt. Hood here in Oregon (11,244 ft) and the southernmost of the Three Sisters (10,363 ft).  Yeah, years ago...but well remembered.

Mt. Hood

A day in the mountains 30372910

Two of the Three Sisters (Faith, Hope & Charity)

A day in the mountains 799f8110

Cracking looking hills there, BH. Looks like something out of a movie trailer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 7:35 pm

Volcanic peaks in the Cascade Range...all of ‘em are handsome.  I like Hood the best.  But then it looms over our valley and I see it daily.  If it ever goes off (like St. Helens did in 1980) and if the wind were to be toward us...we’d be screwed.  It’s only 40 miles away as the crow flies. Then there are the lahars...especially in Winter when the mountains are truly deep with snow. But looking at various maps I think the flow pattern would miss us.

A day in the mountains D6bddf10A day in the mountains 29400910A day in the mountains 114e6110A day in the mountains Ddb39b10A day in the mountains Cf77ce10A day in the mountains Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyTue Jul 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Man that looks like fun! I love the mountains!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 11:25 am

Eh up Stick, that looks grand an' all. What peak were you assaulting?

Cheers,

RR

A day in the mountains Purple11x 2A day in the mountains Bombx10  A day in the mountains Bombx5A day in the mountains D6bddf10 A day in the mountains 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 1:50 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Eh up Stick, that looks grand an' all. What peak were you assaulting?

Cheers,

RR

It's a route on Cadair Idris in Snowdonia, Wales, called Cyfrwy Arete, Rande, first climbed in 1888 by Owain Glyndwr Jones. Snowdonia really was the birth place of the rock climbing we know today - see Alex Honnolds' latest exploits for how things have developed - and this route would have been one of those early lines. Great Welsh names, eh?!

Cadair Idris translates as Idris's Chair, Idris being the giant in a local legend.

Although it's way down there in terms of technical difficulty, it's probably in my top 3 of my favourite climbs, purely because of the alpine, adventurous feel, the stunning location, and the airy position that you end up in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

PostSubject: Re: A day in the mountains   A day in the mountains EmptyWed Jul 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Very cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A day in the mountains
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Sports Page-
Jump to: