HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Empty
PostSubject: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptySat Aug 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Comedian or Comedienne - who is your favorite and why? I'll go first....

For the "classic era" (if there is such a thing) there's plenty to choose from -

Gleason
Don Rickles (Mr. Insult)
Carol Burnett
Joan Rivers (Mrs. Insult)
Phyllis Diller
Rodney Dangerfield
Bob Hope
Jerry Lewis
Johnny Carson
etc ad nauseam.......

And then of course there's the newer wave -

Seinfeld
Robin Williams
Jim Carrey
Sam Kinison
Carlin
The list goes on...........

I guess if I had to choose just one and only one favorite comedy character through the years that never failed to delight it would have to be...........

...................drum roll please...................

Jonathan Winters!

AFAIC, Winters was the most spontaneous of them all and could turn any situation into something hilarious, if not a bit absurd. He was quick witted and came out with zingers a-plenty. This was most evident when he had his own show, and at the end he'd take an object from the studio audience and improv about it.

Ya, there's so many funny folks that rank right up there with me as well. But Winters is in a class by himself IMHO.

lol!

And you?

Cheers,

RR

(p.s. there are no winners or losers here. It's all subjective).

Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Purple11x 2Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Bombx10  Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Bombx5Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? D6bddf10 Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptySat Aug 10, 2019 8:12 pm

I would have to say Steve Martin would have to be my favorite. Then Rodney Dangerfield running a close second.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptySun Aug 11, 2019 10:25 am

I think BrewDude and I have similar tastes!

Years ago I went to see Louis CK and JB Smooth opened.  JB is not one to tell a joke, let the audience laugh and then tell another.  JB is brutal, he just keeps going and going.  I had to take my glasses off from crying and laughing so hard I was gasping for air and he just kept hamming away.   The routine he was doing was "That Damn Song".   I haven't laughed that hard in years.   In comparison Louis CK disappointed as he just finalized his divorce that week.

Also if you haven't read the book, "Rickles" you are missing out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptySun Aug 11, 2019 11:28 am

Dick Van Dyke
Abbott and Costello
Laurel and Hardy
The Stooges
Hal Roach

Bill Murray
Dan Akroyd
John Candy

Not much for many of modern comedians, the humor just doesn't seem to do it for me really. They don't seem to have the same wit, the old guys still make me laugh out loud when I'm watching them alone, and don't have to resort to four letter words, not that I have anything against swearing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptySun Aug 11, 2019 11:45 am

Another one I forgot to mention is Steven Wright. I just love his slow delivery and short couple line jokes.

Sometimes I have a hard time following those comedians that start telling a story then tell 5 more other stories to eventually 10 minutes later come back to the original story to finish the joke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptySun Aug 11, 2019 11:46 am

Old School...

Buster Keaton
WC Fields
The Marx Bros.
Victor Borge
Red Skelton

No...not the 3 Stooges.

Newer School...

Craig Furgeson
Mitch Hedburg
Gallagher
Steven Wright
Bill Murray

No...not Jerry Lewis.

Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? D6bddf10Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? 29400910Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? 114e6110Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Ddb39b10Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Cf77ce10Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 10:02 pm

There are a number of good comedians but Rodney has my respect the most.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveMKentucky

SteveMKentucky

Registration date : 2018-03-23

PostSubject: Carlin   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 10:20 pm

George Carlin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valdus

Valdus

Registration date : 2019-05-15

PostSubject: Carlin Cult    Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptyThu Aug 15, 2019 3:01 pm

In 100-200 years there will be a Carlin Cult to rival the Mormons!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptyThu Aug 15, 2019 8:35 pm

Valdus wrote:
In 100-200 years there will be a Carlin Cult to rival the Mormons!

You really think it will take that long? Lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 7:48 am

There’s going to be a cultural divide here, chaps!

Old school:

The Two Ronnies
The Goodies
Python (collectively and solo)
Spike Milligan
Les Dawson
Tommy Cooper
Peter Sellers

More contemporary:

Rowan Atkinson
Ricky Gervais
Harry Enfield
Paul Whitehouse
Cathy Burke
David Walliams

Gosh, how to pick a favourite... I need to reflect....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 8:27 am

I wonder what someone that lived in, like...Venezuela would List here.  Or maybe Uzbekistan or Nigeria.  Are there favorite comedians in those countries too?

Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? D6bddf10Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? 29400910Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? 114e6110Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Ddb39b10Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Cf77ce10Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 4:53 pm

I always liked Tim and Harvey

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?   Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 7:01 pm

Stick wrote:
There’s going to be a cultural divide here, chaps!

Old school:

The Two Ronnies
The Goodies
Python (collectively and solo)
Spike Milligan
Les Dawson
Tommy Cooper
Peter Sellers

More contemporary:

Rowan Atkinson
Ricky Gervais
Harry Enfield
Paul Whitehouse
Cathy Burke
David Walliams

Gosh, how to pick a favourite... I need to reflect....

ey up mate...

Sadly most of those names are lost on me. I do recognize the Python reference as well as Peter Sellers. Of course Blighty had a whole different spectrum of comedians than those in the US would be familiar with.

Also remember enjoying The Benny Hill Show back in the 70's, and of course Fawlty towers is outstanding.

And there again, British humor is different from ours as well. I've seen some of it from my old UK mate Ian - "Father Ted" for the older material through to "Little Britain" for more modern content. But perspective is required first. A familiarity with British ways and customs is a pre-requisite.

Cheers,

RR

Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Purple11x 2Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Bombx10  Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? Bombx5Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? D6bddf10 Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com

Who is your favorite comdian, or comedienne?
Page 1 of 1