HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Hot Peppers

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm

So what's the hottest chili pepper you've eaten?

I ask since I just tried Ghost Peppers for the first time and have to say I was completely underwhelmed! If there was any hotness to them it was so far down on the Scoville scale that they seemed to be on a par with an ordinary Jalapeno.

On a chart I've seen, Ghost peppers come in at between 800,000 - 1,000,300 Scoville units. Orange Habaeros are between 150,000 - 325,000 and I like them a lot, but the hotness can vary so much that even the hottest of them is kind of meh. Another chili I like is the diminutive Thai, which rate 50,000 - 1000,000. Once in a while one can be pretty fiery but again they vary tremendously.

I realize the hotness level fluctuates but after the dozen or so Ghost peppers not a single one of them had any degree of fire that I was expecting. So WTF?

Think I'll move up the scale to some other pepper to see what that's all about. Like a New Mexico Scorpion at 1,191,595 or a Trinidad Scorpion at 2,009,231 or even the Carolina Reaper at the top - 2,200,000.

Hot Peppers Scoville-Scale-Chili-Peppers-List-Hottest-to-Mildest

So what's the hottest chili pepper you've had?

Cheers,

RR

Hot Peppers Purple11x 2Hot Peppers Bombx10  Hot Peppers Bombx6Hot Peppers D6bddf10 Hot Peppers 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 6:21 pm

For a full pepper, habanero, but the hottest thing I've ever eaten was some Korean pepper powder I picked up at an Asian market. It probably says what it is on the package, but I can't read Korean. It was cheap compared to all the other pepper powders they had ($5 vs $15), and I was looking for spices to thrown in chili and the split pea/lentil goop I make. 1/4 teaspoon is more than enough for a 6qt pot. It's really not much more than a pinch. When I first got it, I put in 1/2 teaspoon or more, thinking I could add as necessary and later, and I almost decided to not eat more than the first bowl. I almost threw the rest in the garbage. It's spicy and with a big bite, so at 1/4 tsp, it adds a nice element to the pot. Anymore than that and all you're doing is making it so nobody wants to eat it. Just overpowers everything else in the pot, and because of it being all heat and not much flavor, it's not good for much. I love gochujang, so I was thinking I'd try another Korean pepper product. Maybe they make kimchi with this pepper powder. I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 8:29 pm

I think the hottest I've had was ghost pepper but it was in a hot sauce so not the entire pepper. I have taken a blast of almost 10,000,000 pepper spray and that was a less than pleasent experience. I don't eat much hot stuff anymore but still enjoy the occasional spicy Curry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Habanero most likely.  Not really sure.  I’m not one that adheres to the idea that eating should be accompanied by excruciating physical pain. Just looking at your list made me want to run out the door screaming and waving my arms wildly.

Hot Peppers D6bddf10Hot Peppers 29400910Hot Peppers 114e6110Hot Peppers Ddb39b10Hot Peppers Cf77ce10Hot Peppers Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Have you seen the First We Feast: Hot Ones series on youtube? Not for the celebrities or interviews --though the host is good at what he does, so the celebrity interviews can be the best of the type-- but for the ideas for hot sauces. I'm sure there are sites dedicated to hot sauces and whatnot, but the series can be entertaining because they're trying to have an in-depth conversation while they're physically distracted and can barely stay on topic sometimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 4:55 pm

My eyes are watering and my stomach is burning just reading these posts! The hottest pepper I eat is a Bell pepper! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valdus

Valdus

Registration date : 2019-05-15

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 6:15 pm

I grrow and grew a lot of peppers. Never went over my wife’s preferred, scotch bonnets. It is a great pepper that balances heat and taste. It is a heat that does not haunt you in the least.

My favorite everyday Pepper is Serrano but haven’t had a chance to grow any.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyMon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 pm

I have had some habanero peppers that were quite spicy. I prefer a jalapeno on the mild side anymore. I prefer to taste the rest of my meal and not just a hot burn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 7:21 pm

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for an experience that will provide heat over flavor. Anything but that in fact. What would be the point?

Yet my recent experience with ghost peppers was completely underwhelming as noted. Don't know if this particular batch was not up to Scoville standards or even if the company monitors that. My guess is probably not. Growing an agricultural product can be subject to myriad variables.

That said, the ghost pepper salsa I've been enjoying from a local source seems to be sufficiently hot, but balanced with the other flavor elements. Perhaps they have a way of standardizing this where providers of the raw product don't. I accept that.

Still, I'll be seeking out the chilies above the ghost pepper provided I can find them. It's not like these are available at every local grocery store.

Cheers,

RR

Hot Peppers Purple11x 2Hot Peppers Bombx10  Hot Peppers Bombx6Hot Peppers D6bddf10 Hot Peppers 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 7:53 pm

If you do a simple search over on Amazon you can get Carolina Reapers in just about any form possible...from fresh peppers to seeds to sauce to powder.

The world is your pepper.

Hot Peppers D6bddf10Hot Peppers 29400910Hot Peppers 114e6110Hot Peppers Ddb39b10Hot Peppers Cf77ce10Hot Peppers Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyTue Aug 20, 2019 8:19 pm

Yup. Amazon is a great resource. Used it many times. Only in this instance, I'd like to source a local supplier if possible.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyWed Aug 21, 2019 7:45 pm

Today I found a great looking assortment of hot peppers at one of the places I shop. This is where I bought the ghost peppers at, and is called "Sprouts". They are kind of a natural market and have outlets in multi-states.

Anyways this pepper assortment may contain the following -

Trinidad Scorpions
Scotch Bonnet
Ghost Pepper (Bhut Jolokias)
Carolina Reaper

The catch is "may contain" and that could indicate there might not be all of those in this assortment. In fact I see what I believe to be a Habanero there in this assortment. I can identify several ghost peppers since I just had them.

And there is what must be a Scorpion due to it's shape. The shape of that and the Carolina Reaper look somewhat similar though. Hmmmm??

In any case I'll look forward to this. Details at 11........

geek

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyWed Aug 21, 2019 9:39 pm

If we don’t hear from you in a few days we’ll send out the dogs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valdus

Valdus

Registration date : 2019-05-15

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 8:35 am

Brewdude I could probably identify them if I had a picture?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyThu Aug 22, 2019 7:38 pm

Valdus wrote:
Brewdude I could probably identify them if I had a picture?

Can't supply pics. So solly.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 7:17 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
If we don’t hear from you in a few days we’ll send out the dogs.

I've been working my way through these. So far so good. Nothing extreme at all.

What I identified as Ghost Peppers were as meh as the ones before. There was one small yellow pepper that looked somewhat like a Habenero which had some heat but nothing that rocked my world.

I'll move on to what might be the Scorpion or the Carolina Reaper. They look somewhat similar. Wish me luck-

affraid

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 7:38 pm

What are those idiots doing drinking water??? I think this is where the phrase, “So hot it fried her uterus!” comes from.

(Seems like another one of those Darwinian events ya hear about that effectively limits population growth in certain segments of the genome.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 8:25 pm

Today had what I think was the scorpion pepper. Pleasantly hot but not mind blowing. Nibbled at it and was mindful of the seed portion which holds all the hot stuff. Liked it. Didn't rock my world though.

The rest seem to be mostly the ghost peppers which I'll have in due course. And so far they don't seem to be very challenging. Don't think a Carolina Reaper is among them. We'll see.

cherry

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 8:37 pm

This deserves another play...one of ‘em was throwing up blood...the other damn near went into respiratory arrest...all in good fun though.

5)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 9:38 pm

Ya, that was amusing. Those young gals look like they suffered!

That pepper looks much like the one I had tonight, although the shape of the Carolina Reaper and the Scorpion are much the same and I have no way of knowing which one I ate. I finished mine!

cherry

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyThu Aug 29, 2019 9:36 pm

Cleavage and hot peppers, talk about click-bait.

I had a bag of Paqui Haunted Ghost Pepper chips not too long ago. They were tasty and had a noticeable warming effect to them, especially when they hit the gut, but mouth hot they were not and there are plenty of videos of people suffering a bit while eating them. Paqui also makes a single Carolina Reaper chip that comes in a miniature coffin.

The hottest pepper I ever actually ate was a whole raw Thai Chile of some type. It had a lasting burn but it was comfortable. I don’t think I would really care for anything hotter. I am no Chile head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyFri Aug 30, 2019 2:29 am

DOH!

Hot Peppers 944a7510

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 7:12 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Cleavage and hot peppers, talk about click-bait.

Ain't it the truth!

I've now worked my way through the assortment. There were 2 peppers that were either Scorpions and/or Carolina Reaper as the shape is similar. Mostly Ghost Peppers and 2 yellow ones that I'm not sure of the variety.

Gotta say that none of them lit me up and made me jump up and down. Some were pleasantly hot but most were totally underwhelming. Frankly I was expecting so much more.

Don't know if these were specifically selected as the mildest of their type (unlikely IMO), they weren't at their peak of freshness and the hot diminishes with freshness (also unlikely), or perhaps my tolerance has built up to the point that they don't register as they would otherwise.

On the ones I suspected were the hottest, I didn't just dive right in and eat half the thing in one bite like those chicks did. Rather I went slow and consumed it in small bites until I had a sense of them, knowing full well that the heat is mostly in the seeds and they are pretty much located up towards the stem.

Be that as it may, I did enjoy them and will revisit at some point to see if another batch are different. The cost was nominal for the assortment. Something like $5 for what must have been a dozen different chilies. In fact the container says-

"Super Hot Chile Mix. Our finest collection of super hot chilies for the chili connoisseur! Ingredients: Fresh Chilies.

(May contain Trinidad Scorpion, Carolina Reaper, Scotch Bonnet and/or Bhut Jolokias)

Net weight 2 oz (57g)

Decided to get in a container of the tiny Thai chilies this time. They pack some heat along with flavor and the size is such that I can have as many as I want at a sitting. Had these before several times.

FWIW, the hottest chili I ever had was many years ago. Back in the mid-70's when I was working in the weld shop, the lead man brought in a bowl of small green chilies he had grown. They were maybe 1/4" diameter x 4" long. Don't know the variety. Even back then I was chili head and he and I snacked on these during our shift. No one else would touch them but I found them fine.

That is, until I grabbed one and bit off a good chunk and suddenly my world went tits up! The heat was so overwhelming that I though I would puke or pass out or something. I mean it was fierce, brutal, and no exaggeration!

I proceeded to rush to the water fountain nearby and tried to cool my mouth. I held the water in my mouth and that seemed to help somewhat, but as soon as I swallowed the water the pain came back with a vengeance. This went on for some time and I was totally unable to work. Finally, after multiple trips to the water fountain it started to subside. By now my head felt like it was on fire!

When I finally made it back to my work station, I told the lead man that he needed to try that chili I just ate as I had laid it down right there after biting into it. Of course he bit it and his eyes lit up.

So it wasn't just me. That one particular chili apparently had several orders of magnitude higher scoville units for some reason. All the others I ate that day were mild in comparison. And of course, now I know that just plain water will not neutralize the reaction. Kinda like putting water on an oil fire.  

All to say that I recognize and accept that chilies are an agricultural product and variations can and will occur. That's all..........

cherry

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 12:29 am

Ghost chili products seem to fall way short on the heat even for me. I used to seek out hot peppers and loved the burn but these days I tend to stay on the milder side like chipotle peppers. I enjoy the flavor more than the heat and the ghost chili does have some decent flavor. I do make hot sauce and hot rubs for my son and use an electric coffee grinder to pulverize dried peppers with all their seeds which makes even a fairly mild pepper like jalapeno really seem hot. Good luck in your search Rande

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

Hot Peppers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 8:32 am

I'll just leave this right here . . .

https://www.andnowuknow.com/headlines/ed-currie-pucker-butt-pepper-co-tops-carolina-reaper-new-hottest-pepper-hp/melissa-de-leon/45067
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hot Peppers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: