HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
J_Rock

Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:51 pm

That was one heck of a pass. This is going to be a great Box Pass!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Benjamin Button

Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Wow... 9 lbs!!!! That's a hefty baby that's about to be delivered!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 pm

And I am not due to receive the box until August 1st! That thing is going to weigh 50+ lbs.!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will have to go over to the Sears Parts Plus store to get an empty refrigerator box to repack it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Just and update, I received a notice yesterday that they tried to deliver the box but I missed them so I can pick it up Monday morning at the post office. So it's made it here safe, I just don't have it in my eager hands yet. Laughing

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:36 pm

Jason, don't forget the safety rope when diving into the box. It sounds like with what Artic Smoke added you will need it. Have fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:51 pm

I picked up the box. It's a big one! Can't wait until I'm home so I can dive in.

"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:39 pm

jhuggett wrote:
I picked up the box. It's a big one! Can't wait until I'm home so I can dive in.

Sadly, I'd suspect that your entire 'work zone' including your POV is off limits to smoking ... affraid

Even though I couldn't play this time around, I'm sure following this box pass, it should be VERY entertaining. I'm just hoping it gets close enough to North Georgia to catch a wiff of the aroma Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:43 pm

No we have designated smoking areas and what not but BAB (Big Ass Box) is not to be rushed. Laughing

Back to top Go down
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:20 pm

jhuggett wrote:
No we have designated smoking areas and what not but BAB (Big Ass Box) is not to be rushed. Laughing

WOW! The list of work sites that have 'designated smoking areas' is shrinking ... you are fortunate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:57 pm

kilted1 wrote:
jhuggett wrote:

WOW! The list of work sites that have 'designated smoking areas' is shrinking ... you are fortunate.

Being a facility manager I hang out in the mechanical rooms and chiller/boiler plant to smoke when ever I want. I even sneak a smoke in my office and the shop from time to time since the building is designed for smoking. Of course smoking has actually been banned inside the facility.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:54 pm

OK so I spent the first night with BABs. Sat in my recliner and literally sprawled the contents of the box all around me. First up on my want to try list was Anniversary Kake so I load a bowl in a Peterson dedicated to my favorite VaPers. I laid back and enjoyed the pipe while the smell of all the other tobaccos surrounded me. Was quite enjoyable. Laughing

I plan on only taking a couple more days being I can just snag a couple of samples for later.

One surprise so far. I ususally can't stand anything with Latakia in it but I found myself smelling some of the English blends and I actually wanted to give them a try. So I'm going to give them a try. Before even the smell of Latakia kind of made me ill feeling. Would love it if that aversion was finally gone.

Back to top Go down
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:52 pm

jhuggett wrote:
.................One surprise so far. I ususally can't stand anything with Latakia in it but I found myself smelling some of the English blends and I actually wanted to give them a try. So I'm going to give them a try. Before even the smell of Latakia kind of made me ill feeling. Would love it if that aversion was finally gone.
What's this, we may have another convert to the dark side. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arcticsmoke

Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Jason, it sounds like we are in common with the aversion to latakia. I agree with you on the thought that some of those actually smelled good. I tried the am pipe, a little to much lat. for me, but the Art's endeavor was actually pretty good.

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Sounds like our tastes are quite a like Bill, that's the one that intrigued me most.

Mike I've often thought if I forced myself to smoke more Lat blends I'd get used to it but being I enjoy Va's so much I've never been able to stick with it.

Back to top Go down
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:14 pm

Jason,

Please be careful lighting up with the contents of the BAB exposed and vulnerable, one stray spark and the parties over!!!!

Sounds like a great pass so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J_Rock

Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:16 pm

Whats weird for me is I smoke Latakia is waves. Sometimes I will put it in my rotation for a couple weeks then I won't smoke it for a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:41 pm

arcticsmoke wrote:
......................but the Art's endeavor was actually pretty good.

Bill
If anyone is interested in what exactly makes up Art's Endeavor I'm sure he will not mind if I post the ingredients. You can also get it at Mars Cigars already mixed.

Art's Endeavor is basically mixed with 10 ounces of 5100, and a ounce each of Perique, Latakia, and Oriental. He uses McClellands #14 or #8 for the Oriental. From what I have heard and read he has been mixing this blend for years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mickwwalker

Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: My Hope in Joining,is To Learn from Expierienced Ones.   Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:59 am

Thanks for the Web site Mike,& all The Help. It is Very Interesting to Learn something New Every time We Talk. I will Be On the Side Learning from You All Thanks again.
Mick Smile Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:07 pm

I've been working my way through the box and enjoying every minute. I have been a little busy as of late so I didn't get it all packed up today. I need some more heavy duty plastic bags to add some stuff. It will go in the mail on Monday and I will post and update on all that's transpired then.

Back to top Go down
Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:49 pm

Don't hurt your back carrying the box to the post office! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lewisableidinger.com
Bulldog Bruce

Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:30 pm

[
Even though I couldn't play this time around, I'm sure following this box pass, it should be VERY entertaining. I'm just hoping it gets close enough to North Georgia to catch a wiff of the aroma Smile[/quote]

kilted1, Unfortunatly, due to an enforced hiatus in my pipe smoking, I can't play either, but am following the pass. Hey, maybe the last guy who is playing will bag up the aroma of BABS and send it to us.

lol! lol! lol!

Bruce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:47 pm

Sorry for not updating sooner, here's the score:

Takes:
A&C Petersen Escudo
C&D After Hours Flake

Puts:
C&D Old Joe Krantz
SG 1792 Flake
Ashton Winding Road (Noticed there weren't any aromatics)
For Sampling:
Orlik Golden Sliced
Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed

Sampled:
C&D After Hours Flake
GLP Montgomery
McClelland A.M. Pipe
Heart & Home Frenchy's Sunza Bitches
Heart & Home Anniversary Kake
GL Pease Telegraph Hill

Overall a very nice pass. I had a few bowls of some of the samples just to make sure I liked them as much as initially thought. After Hours Flake and Anniversary Kake are keepers in my mind. AM Pipe wasn't too bad for a Latakia blend, actually enjoyed it.

So it's now off to Trout Bum via Priority Mail.

Great time and thanks again!

Back to top Go down
richmondesi

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:14 pm

This is awesome. I'm just sick that I didn't join soon enough to participate... There's always next year drool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:30 pm

richmondesi wrote:
This is awesome. I'm just sick that I didn't join soon enough to participate... There's always next year drool

Paul I too missed out due to my present finances, but I'm hoping to enjoy watching this and deriving vicarious pleasures as the box passes from hand to hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arcticsmoke

Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009   Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Nice pass Jason. Was wondering if you fell in.
Now we get to see if TroutBum is up to the task. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next