HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dubbya

Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Sun May 24, 2009 11:05 pm

Aaron wrote:
Escrima. It's a form of Filipino martial arts using sticks of various sorts, usually called "escrima sticks" very unimaginative but effective. Smile

The old Filipino guys around here call them Baston(bah-stone).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Mon May 25, 2009 4:31 pm

Aaron, I think it did look a lot more like Escrima too. Like I said it may be a stretch to say they were being that true to character. Laughing

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Bill

Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Saw the film and it was excellent. Spotted a goof though. He referred to his pipe as being a "clay pipe" and it was actually a Savinelli blast, shape #127.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SMITHENHALS

Registration date : 2009-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:07 pm

I thought the movie was great. It was true to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s characters for the most part. I especially enjoyed the fact that they didn’t make Watson seem like a bumbling idiot as they did in the Rathabone films. The movie even featured classic characters such as Irene Adler, Inspector Lestrade, and Ms. Hudson. There were many involvements of Holmes’s love of tobacco and the pipe (as well as drugs) throughout the movie, as well as his all night experimentations, chemistry knowledge, fighting skills, and use of various disguises. The only complaint I have is Sherlock Holmes’s physical appearance in the movie. They portrayed him as a man of strange fashion and of poor personal hygiene, as he was always poorly dressed and never clean shaven. Quite the opposite of Holmes I thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://morebeer.ning.com/profile/SMITHENHALS
Richard Hester
Author of "My Love My Pipe"

Registration date : 2009-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:42 am

Hello All
I must say I have all the old black & white movies as well as the 1950's tv show and I believe I have read every book on SH for the life of me I have enjoyed this movie the most. With that being said I do believe he should have been at least clean shaven but as a whole I thank RDJ did a great job Laughing cheers Laughing
Best Regard
Richard
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://charlesrhesterjr@aol.com.com

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:42 pm

It's coming out on DVD today.
Back to top Go down
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:53 pm

EJinVA wrote:
It's coming out on DVD today.

Yeah, my girlfriend surprised with the DVD today for my birthday! Good times! It will fit in nicely with my complete DVD collections of the Rathbone/Bruce movies, as well as the Complete Jeremy Brett Grenada series. The Downey Jr. version doesn't hold a candle to the aforementioned, but it is still good in its own right.

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Professor_Briar

Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: New Downey Jr Movie DEc 2011   Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 am

So they are going to make a second movie with release at Christmas 2011!!! How good is that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
St Fiacre

Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:03 am

I was really impressed with the first one, now I am excited about the upcoming one did not know about the release date thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Funn

Registration date : 2008-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:04 pm

Am watching it now for the umpteenth time. Taped it on VHS.
Love the new adapttion of Holmes. If one reads the books it's very close action wise.
particularly love the Baritsu scenes and the satiric interplay between Holmes & Watson.
Can't wait for the new one to add to my collection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
St Fiacre

Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:54 am

Funn wrote:
Am watching it now for the umpteenth time. Taped it on VHS.
Love the new adapttion of Holmes. If one reads the books it's very close action wise.
particularly love the Baritsu scenes and the satiric interplay between Holmes & Watson.
Can't wait for the new one to add to my collection.

True, most of the other adaptions on screen do not really tap into Holmes martial arts techinques which I always thought was a shame since he was supposed to have been a master. I also loved all the quotes in the movie from the original books.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whiskeywillow

Registration date : 2011-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:10 pm

I'm really excited about the upcoming sequel. I loved the first one, thought it was incredibly well done for having changed so much. The only problem I had was with the wet blanket known as Jude Law. I felt like there were dozens of better options for Watson. But he doesn't completely spoil the movie, so I guess it could be worse.

I haven't heard much about the second film yet, except that Stephen Fry is to play Mycroft Holmes (I practically cried out with joy when I heard this, I'm a big Fry fan) and Professor Moriarty will be played by Jared Harris. Harris is one of my favorite actors and also incredibly underrated...you might know him as the son of Richard Harris. But he was on The Riches towards the end (honestly, Eddie Izzard needs to pull together a movie to end the series), he was *fantastic* in the Curious Case of Benjamin Button, among other things. Anyway I think he's going to be amazing as Moriarty. My favorite portrayal of Moriarty to date is Richard Roxborough's from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen which is probably a heretical statement...but I fully expect to have a new favorite Moriarty performance as soon as the next film comes out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greg-TheFullerBrushMan

Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Loved it!   Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:23 am

I am glad to see the positive comments about this movie. I absolutely LOVED it and cannot wait for the sequel!

IMHO, if one reads the originals closely, and even examines the few illustrations available, I believe that Guy Richie and RDJr got Holmes spot on. Much more so, again IMHO than any of the "classic" portrayals, i.e. Rathbone and J. Brett. To me, those were plodding, uninspiring caricatures of both Holmes and Dr. Watson.

In short, I thought that this movie was brilliant in all regards.

-Greg
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thefullerbrushman.net
Gumball

Registration date : 2011-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:38 pm

I will admit to having misgivings when I first heard about this movie adaptation, but I really enjoyed it. The interplay between Holmes and Watson worked very well. The casting was inspired, RDJ really brought something new to the role of Holmes, and Jude Law held his own admirably as Watson. If that relationship had not worked on screen then the movie would have been a complete mess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:09 pm

Gumball wrote:
I will admit to having misgivings when I first heard about this movie adaptation, but I really enjoyed it. The interplay between Holmes and Watson worked very well. The casting was inspired, RDJ really brought something new to the role of Holmes, and Jude Law held his own admirably as Watson. If that relationship had not worked on screen then the movie would have been a complete mess.

I was more impressed with Law's Watson than Downey's Holmes. Just watched it the other day, and was entertained. Not the total train wreck I'd been led to believe it was.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:49 pm

I still havnt seen this film yet, I really want to check it out...I heard good things about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee
Churchwarden

Registration date : 2011-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:17 pm

His portayal is more accurate in some ways such as baritsu but I can't handle that unshaven look! However, Jude Law's portrayal of Watson is probably most accurate because it's hard to imagine Holmes befriending a bumbling buffoon like Nigel Bruce.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mike_68

Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:13 am

Saw the new one this past Friday and I was impressed! Hadn't seen the first but I give high props to Downy and Law for their work..good stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thefoolish

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:05 pm

There's a new article on Pipes Magazine about the RD Jr. Holmes movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guy

Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:44 pm

As far as the “visual Sherlock”, Downie is just not working for me ….I guess having the entire Jeremy Brett Granada version does not help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:37 pm

I think Downey gives a little slant to the role that is refreshing. Not so stodgy and proper. Also a little eccentric in an antisocial way. I think that fits better. Similar to the way Daniel Craig made James Bond into a dirtier and darker figure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:17 am

Last edited by Simple Man on Thu May 03, 2012 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sea-Bee

Registration date : 2011-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:25 am

I do still prefer Jeremey Brett!!

Robert Downey Jr.? Sherlock homes was a portrayed as a man of the gentry who was an inpeccably groomed man who would not be caught in public looking as shoddily dressed and groomed. However, he oftimes donned a disguise as the situation demanded it on a case-per case basis.

What are they trying to make THIS new Holmes into??? A refuge from the syphillis-ridden underworld; who is a drug addict from the opium dens of the Victorian era?

Yes....yes...yes! Dr. Watson complained to Holmes several times about his being involved with the tincture of coca being an unhealthy thing to do. Holmes used it to get him through a difficult case....when tea wold not suffice. (as I would deduce.)

#Please note: Back in those days cocaine was even used in Coca-Cola!!

No to Mr. Robert Downey Jr's version to the venerable Mr. Holmes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Professor_Briar

Registration date : 2009-02-20

PostSubject: 2nd Robert Downey Sherlock Movie   Wed May 16, 2012 10:01 pm

I've avoided watching the movie so far, but trapped on a flight back from Amsterdam to the Us, against my better judgement I did watch the thing. I thought the first movie was passable, but the second one is stunningly........horrible. I did enjoy Stephen Fry, who is a great actor and also I did enjoy Jude Law, who I think makes an excellent Watson. But seriously. Nearly as bad as the current BBC TV Sherlock Holmes who does not smoke a pipe. Seriously, this is why we have laws to protect us. The next time Guy Ritchie comes to the US, we should bundle him off to Gitmo for his crimes against humanity. study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sea-Bee

Registration date : 2011-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????   Thu May 17, 2012 7:56 am

Well said....HEAR!!! HEAR!!! cheers

I'll even light a bowl of well-aged shag to old Basil Rathbone's portrayals of Shirlock! study

Question..... scratch Just where are they trying to go with Shirlock now?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Robert Downey Jr. As Sherlock????
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next