HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Any one else hit the gym?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Any one else hit the gym?   Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:49 pm

Hey guys just curious if anyone else lifts or goes to the gym? If so, figured maybe we can discuss our workouts.

This is what I'm currently working on:

Monday-chest
bench
incline
decline
flyes
cable pull overs

Tuesday-back
lat pulls
seated rows
t-bar rows
shrugs

Wednesday-legs (if I have to skip a part, it's usually this one)
leg raises
squat rack
leg curls
single leg curls

Thursday-Shoulders
lateral raises supersetted with dumbell military presses
front raises supersetted with upright rows (this combination isn't working for me)
reverse dumbell flyes

Friday-arms
dumbell curls supersetted with closegrip benchpress
preacher curls supersetted with skullcrushers
seated hammer curls supersetted with rope pull downs
isolation curls supersetted with v-bar pulldowns
Gonna put in 21s on Friday or Saturday since it appears I have to work late Wednesday

I try to do 20-48 min of cardio every day, but honestly I don't always have the energy. Honestly, I work on building muscle and power moreso than losing weight. If I lose weight, it's just a nice side affect. My Dr told me that its everything after the first 30 min of cardio that actually burns fat.

Kinda puts me in a weird posistion, I look like a fat guy, but I'm solid. In fact one of the best parts is when someone punches me in the gut full strength and I smile at them. If I ever get my act together, I'll haul my butt out of bed at 5 everymorning and do my cardio then.

When I take a month off from work, I used to start on the bike for 48 min (this time just works for me), then hit the weights. But the body builders I work with suggested I change that, so I can go the extra mile on weight training.
Back to top Go down
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:04 am

I have been at it for almost 28 years,was a stone gym rat until 7-8 years ago.
I have had 3 hernia surgeries in the last 6 years,last one is a piece of mesh 9"
in diameter in my abdominal wall.No more free weights but I use the treadmill
and a machine workout 3-4 times a week at present.
But it was glorious to have 19" arms at one time and the cameraderie in the old
black iron gyms was fabulous.Not all these worms with their walkmans doing girlie
weights,we all went to one of Arnolds seminars back in 1981 and gave him a ration
of shit..........good old days. Smile

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:17 am

I need to hit the gym. Not all that interested in being a muscle bound freak more than I am just conditioning, strength, and cardio. I lost the ol' washboard when I was around 25ish and doubt I could get it again. But I wouldn't mind dropping 35-40 lbs and getting down to around 265. At 6'7" most people guess I weigh around 250. They're surprised when I tell them I am just over 300.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:10 am

I've worked out in a gym at different points in my life, typically been when I'm between working on a house or piece of property. I never went for bulking up, just to stay in shape. I guess the longest period I worked out was after a divorce in 97, worked out for two years or so, kind of helped me get through it all.
Back to top Go down
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:45 am

Though I don't go to the gym, I actually started jogging a week or so ago and I have to confess, I feel so re-energized. I love it. I go for half an hour every other day.

I do have a question though. What can I do to combat side stitches? They're no fun. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:01 am

I've been exersising regularly since last Summer. I began by walking, progressed to jogging and on to running. Shortly thereafter I joined a gym and began weight training. Generally I work out six days a week for an hour a day. I've lost 30+ pounds since August and have gained a good deal of muscle mass. It's become a way of life for me and just something that I'll always do. All of my strength is in my lower body. I'm currently pressing 490 pounds with my legs. I'm doing 100 ab crunches with 20 pounds of weight and using all of the other cybex machines for my arms, chest and shoulders. I use the cypex steppers and the elipticals for cardio.

I've gone from hating it to actually looking forward to hitting the gym. It's a rare bit of "me time" in an average day which has me constantly doing for others...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
HistoryMajor

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 am

Quote :
What can I do to combat side stitches? They're no fun. :Sad:
If I remember correctly from my track days, drink water and attempt to breathe more deeply - in through the nose, out through the mouth sort of stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:17 am

I worked in a law school for several years and would go work out in the gym there in the mornings before work. They have a rugby team and I always worked out with those fellows, got me pretty motivated and had some good results. Since leaving that job I spent the past 10 years working in construction and managed to injure myself few times, so now free weight are out, as is running. Like Tall smoke I'm a big ol boy that could stand to lose 40 pounds or so. When I was at 235 I looked pretty slim, but now I'm at 275 and really should do something about it. I've been hitting the gym most mornings since starting my shoulder rehab, but that's mostly focusing on the injury. I have been enjoying it though (except the pain and torture part) and hope to keep at it. I'd like to get a bike and a Bowflex as they are low impact machines that still produce results.

TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:35 am

Irene Adler wrote:

I do have a question though. What can I do to combat side stitches? They're no fun. Sad

You could try strengthening your abdominals through sit ups, etc. Deep breathing exercises are also good for it. Those two items helped me get rid of mine a while back. Might work for you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:54 am

Not the gym so much but I do run 2 to three miles a day and do Three sets of 50 push ups in the morning and evening and Three sets of 60 sit ups, morning and evening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Irene Adler
That Woman

Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Yeah, I had heard the breathe deeply idea, but I'll try adding sit-ups and see how it goes. :-)

Thanks. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/amyjomusic

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Irene Adler wrote:
Yeah, I had heard the breathe deeply idea, but I'll try adding sit-ups and see how it goes. :-)

Thanks. Very Happy

Hey Irene, Not sure what you meant by side stitches as the ladies in my gym use it to mean several things (from stretch marks to ab soreness to ab pain).

Instead of sit-ups, I did crunches when I was younger. One thing I did this summer that really helped my big ole gut were bicylce crunches, and I will certainly recommend these above all crunches unless you are isolating obliques, upper and lower abs.

Bycicle crunch is when you raise your left shoulder as in a crunch but draw your right leg up and vice versa.

I know what you guys are saying about building muscle and such. I know I really should focus on running too, but I enjoy weight training much moreso than cardio.

The thing about working out is that it is addicting UNTIL you stop. I workout for months at a time until the boss has me working 11 hour days again, then it is hard for me to hit the gym and running 2 miles a week becomes my sole source of exercise.

I was bummed that the boss told me I only have to work until 4 today; on the otherhand, I get to go to the gym where I will probably work legs since I neglect the hell out of them.

I usually take either June or July off (I may do both this year), and do 48 min of cardio along with bodybuilding (all that means is you only work on one body part a day). Right now, I'm struggling to just do 20 min of cardio. Yesterday I was able to do 25, but I had some motivation which I'll spare you to not be disrespectful to the ladies here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:33 pm

BTW, I don't really worry to much about building or looking muscular, but I do enjoy being solid.

I thought maybe we could help motivate each other as I currently do not have a workout partner. And if I don't lose weight, no biggie; that's not really the workout that I'm engaged in.

I should be able to work out 4-6 days a week until August (fingers crossed). But the dr has me on a mandatory 2 day split, which I will ignore today as I like to go to the gym when I'm stressed out.

If I was a good boy, I'd do cardio today, but I want to work on legs.

next week completes a mesocycle for me, so I'll be looking for new workouts.

Is it kosher to discuss supplements, or would that violate any rules here? Nothing illegal or immoral, I'm thinking more of protein and L-glutamene.

Oh I have several trainers that I have access to, but I don't pay them, so I try not to bug them too much. Still many people want to see me succeed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:37 pm

paddy-boy wrote:
Not the gym so much but I do run 2 to three miles a day and do Three sets of 50 push ups in the morning and evening and Three sets of 60 sit ups, morning and evening.

Hey bud, that's a workout to me. I'm hoping to get there myself soon. As a youngster I was pretty solid without the gym with nothing but crunches, pushups and close grip pushups.
Back to top Go down
rick

Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: No gym for me ...............but   Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:51 pm

Racquetball (1.5 - 2 hr sessions) 1 -2 x / week and I walk my Daughter to school 3 x/week (1.5miles round trip
Rest of the time I'm just doing 12 oz curls penguin
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:52 pm

rick wrote:
Racquetball (1.5 - 2 hr sessions) 1 -2 x / week and I walk my Daughter to school 3 x/week (1.5miles round trip

Amatuer, I do quart curls... lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:53 pm

rick wrote:

Amatuer, I do quart curls... lol!
Back to top Go down
paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:02 pm

And you do them twice Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:41 pm

paddy-boy wrote:
And you do them twice Laughing
Once for each hand...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Pretty good leg work out yesterday. Then, I almost competed the recommended 48 min bike cardio. With about 3 min left, my right gastroc cramped really bad and forced me to stand up.

Today is shoulder day, and I'll try to complete 48 min on the bike again.

What are y'alls thoughts on creatine?
Back to top Go down
jmallen5

Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:42 pm

My thoughts are "its not nice to fool with mother nature." Creatine works if you want power and size, but be prepared to take it as long as you want to maintain that power and size. What you wind up with in the long run is ruined joints and a puffy look to your body when you can't keep up that level of work-out regimin. I suggest you keep it natural.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jmallen5

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:47 pm

By the way, a wife, five kids, a managment job and a propensity to sit on your butt smoking pipes will also give you a "puffy" look to your body. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:00 pm

The only limitation I have is my job. Only reason I asked, I did it naturally for most of my life. Recently, I began taking protein. What this did for me was helped me recover for my next work out.

Before, the motivation was there, but not the ability to lift. This seems to let me recoop a little quicker. When I mentioned this to a trainer, he recommended L-glutamine, also for recovery. Sure enough, I can easily do 5-6 days work permitting.

What exactly does creatine do?

Oh how about this for a split:

Mon: Chest, Shoulder, Triceps, Abs (cardio optional)
Tues: Off (just cardio)
Wed: Thighs, Back, Biceps, calves (cardio optional)
Thu: Off (just cardio)
Fri: Chest, Shoulder, Triceps, Abs (cardio optional)
Sat: Off (just cardio)
Sun: Off: Total rest day
Repeat cycle beginning with day two workout

Or keep my 5 day split?
Back to top Go down
jmallen5

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:35 pm

From what I understand and experienced, creatine increases the volume of muscle cells, it aids in recovery and limits acid build up which is what makes your muscles sore after intense workouts. You will gain 5 to 15 pounds depending on your BMI at first, this is all water weight from the cell volumizing effect. Soon after you will feel as though you cant workout enough to get a good "burn". You will love the results but, be warned, if you are a work-out addict you will do permanent damage. Your bones and joints dont grow to keep up with extra mass and rigorous abuse. Your work-out routine looks fine to me, just mixit up every 4 to 5 weeks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Any one else hit the gym?   Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:34 pm

jmallen5 wrote:
By the way, a wife, five kids, a managment job and a propensity to sit on your butt smoking pipes will also give you a "puffy" look to your body. Very Happy
I can attest to that my friend! Laughing

Love your sig line by the way, McManus is one of my all time favorite authors. Reading his stuff takes me immediately back to my childhood. Everyone should have a little Crazy Eddy Muldoon in him Very Happy

Any one else hit the gym?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: