HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Stanwell Pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bill

Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Stanwell Pipes   Mon May 25, 2009 5:58 pm

I have concluded that Stanwell really is the best value in pipes. Granted, they have went up in price, but they're still a bargain, especially estates. Anyone else in agreement with this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Mon May 25, 2009 6:17 pm

I think it's pretty hard to argue.

Stanwell's policy of keeping everything really good and stamping Stanwell on it, and selling all kinds of somehow inferior stuff under other banners, somewhat like Dunhill, really sets a benchmark in the industry. I have never seen or heard of a misdrilled, bad briar, etc Stanwell.

If I was going to purchase a factory pipe, sight unseen, and had to pick between Peterson, Savinelli, and Stanwell, as to which I thought would be most likely to be defect free, I'd choose Stanwell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Mon May 25, 2009 6:37 pm

I have ten of em.
I like em all and they all get smoked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruraldean

Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Tue May 26, 2009 4:25 am

I think I agree, although I've never had a bad Pete either. What I have had is a couple of duff Savinellis, which tend to smoke well for the first bowl and dire for anything further.

I've only got two Stanwells, so my reference is limited, but I've never had any sort of problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://crimsonleaf.co.uk http://paulanthonydean.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Tue May 26, 2009 4:21 pm

I owned several #107 Featherweights that smoked hot and wet for me.
Back to top Go down
Canvasback

Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Tue May 26, 2009 5:27 pm

My best pipe is a Stanwell HCA, I love it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattia76

Registration date : 2008-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Tue May 26, 2009 6:16 pm

Stanwells are usually one of the first pipes I point new pipe smokers to for a great pipe to break in and begin with. I've never had a bad one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woody

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Wed May 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Bill wrote:
I have concluded that Stanwell really is the best value in pipes. Granted, they have went up in price, but they're still a bargain, especially estates. Anyone else in agreement with this?

Couldn't agree with you more Bill. Like my Avatar on the left - A Stan Brazilia - too bad it's Spain. I understand shipping is a tad slow.

I've noticed that some of the heavy stains (red) in Stanwell has a tendency to rub off a bit when cleaning etc - but overall - never had a bad Stanwell. I treasure all mine - even my seconds are a pleasure to smoke and there's always at least 20 or so on Ebay. Now I'm saving for that Dunhill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
earl

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Wed May 27, 2009 10:27 pm

woody wrote:
Bill wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more Bill. Like my Avatar on the left - A Stan Brazilia - too bad it's Spain. I understand shipping is a tad slow.

I've noticed that some of the heavy stains (red) in Stanwell has a tendency to rub off a bit when cleaning etc - but overall - never had a bad Stanwell. I treasure all mine - even my seconds are a pleasure to smoke and there's always at least 20 or so on Ebay. Now I'm saving for that Dunhill.
Interesting about the red stain "rubbing off." 1 of the few Stannies I have is an HCA II. Love its style, but some of the reddish stain on the rim has lightened with cleaning. Also smokes somewhat hot. earl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Thu May 28, 2009 2:50 am

The only pipes that I had a stain "issue" with were both late 90's, early 2000 vintage Petersons. About the first four times I smoked each of them I would end up with a reddish brown stain on my hands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Thu May 28, 2009 9:46 am

There are a couple of Stanwells on my wish list.
Back to top Go down
ppc

Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:10 am

I couldn't agree more. Both estate and new, you can really find some treasures. I've got an old shape 37 which is very unique, and my new vario 186 is one of the gems of my collection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:51 am

Something is rotten in Denmark:

Just saw on SF that apparently Stanwell production is to be outsourced to parts unknown. 17 jobs will be lost as the pipes will no longer be made there:

http://www.dr.dk/Regioner/Sjaelland/Nyheder/Ringsted/2009/06/03/151111.h

The above link is in Danish (sorry!, but if you know any Swedish or even some German you should be able to get the jist of it - basically, it says that because sales have dropped so dramatically over the past years the plant is closing and the brand will be outsourced to a foreign country, and that this leaves individual high-grade carvers as the only pipe-producers in the country).

I am sure that some of the Danish guys in the other pipe forums will have more to say on this.

The first guy to leave a comment on the story, Lars, says:

Nej nej nej nej nej. Det er en tragedie!

"No, no, no, no, no. That is a tragedy!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:45 am

That flat out sucks! I have a single Stanwell, a Vario Canadian. Smokes pretty good, not fantastic, a serviceable 'yard pipe'. I have nothing against Stanwells, my interests just lie elsewhere. I feel for those craftsman's families, maybe some new independent carvers will emerge?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:57 am

Wow.... I start making pipes and Stanwell goes outta the game. Talk about power.

That is really a telling link. Get em while they're hot cuz you know the new ones are gonna be shit in comparison.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wintermute

Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Kapnismologist wrote:
Something is rotten in Denmark:

Just saw on SF that apparently Stanwell production is to be outsourced to parts unknown. 17 jobs will be lost as the pipes will no longer be made there

That's just not right! Looks like I have to pull the trigger on a Stanwell!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:06 pm

Nobody seems to know where the new production will take place.China?,India?.....

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:49 pm

In the immortal words of Butthead: "This sucks worse than anything that has ever sucked!!!" No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oddball

Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:31 am

Sombitch Evil or Very Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bill

Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:19 pm

Just picked up this beauty for $65.00 shipping included at Gray Fox. Smokes great.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:25 am

Very nice Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:37 am

That is a handsome pipe, indeed! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:17 pm

Back when I only had a 7 day rotation, I had 2 Stanwells, both the same shape. And I wasn't impressed. This was when I was younger, so I really can't say why it just didn't seem to smoke as good as my Petes and Savis. I don't know much about drilling or opening draws and stuff like that (even less in my twentys). I know when they were up in the rotation, I was always like "ah man, the Stanwells."

I traded them along with a 3rd that I had picked up for a Wiley, and I thought I'd got the better of the deal.

I traded for an HCA smooth calabash, and this pipe is a keeper; I imagine this is more like the experiences you guys had. I dunno, maybe I got one of the few that were less than perfect. This was also many years ago, so perhaps they've improved.

I got one of them Nannas coming in, so I'm anxious to see how it smokes. Still I'm not above giving them another chance.

Back when I first started buying pipes (back when I could only afford one per year if that ), the talk was about the big 3. Of the 3 I found to Peterson to be the most reliable. Savinelli makes a great pipe, but I've had a bad one. And I have one autograph that is drilled to hell and back.
Back to top Go down
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:43 am

I have three Stanwells in my rotation and I keep skipping my other pipes and going back to them. I have a 186 that I bought at my local B & M that is absolutely my favorite pipe and one I ordered from Sweeden (thanks for the tip P.D.) that is an excellent puffer. Hate to hear the bad news. Guess I'll try to snatch up a couple more from my B & M before they are gone. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ppc

Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Stanwell Pipes   Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:23 am

Centurian 803 wrote:
I have three Stanwells in my rotation and I keep skipping my other pipes and going back to them. I have a 186 that I bought at my local B & M that is absolutely my favorite pipe and one I ordered from Sweeden (thanks for the tip P.D.) that is an excellent puffer. Hate to hear the bad news. Guess I'll try to snatch up a couple more from my B & M before they are gone. affraid

I've got a vario 186 myself - a magnificent pipe, one of my top 3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Stanwell Pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: