HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Cornell & Diehl Night Train

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Brewdude wrote:
shootist51 wrote:
I ordered this blend in bulk and recieved it in a ready rubbed condition. I liked it! I ordered a few tins and it came in a flake form, I liked it better.

I've only had it in the crumble cake form. Never heard of it in RR or flake!?

Exclamation 

Cheers,

RR

Neither have I ever seen this as anything but a pressed krumble kake. Mystery?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Is there anything else out there similar to Night Train? Something burley significant and Virginia sweet? I would assume this is a common combination, but I keep running into bland tobaccos or over-spiced tobaccos (too much perique) or over-cased tobaccos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:10 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Is there anything else out there similar to Night Train?  Something burley significant and Virginia sweet?  I would assume this is a common combination, but I keep running into bland tobaccos or over-spiced tobaccos (too much perique) or over-cased tobaccos.

I like C&D's Three Friars. It has a small amount of Perique but it comes through as a condiment and is a minor player. I think it's one of the finest Va/Burs available. You might give this a try. I think you'd like it. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:46 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Is there anything else out there similar to Night Train?  Something burley significant and Virginia sweet?  I would assume this is a common combination, but I keep running into bland tobaccos or over-spiced tobaccos (too much perique) or over-cased tobaccos.

GLP Cumberland, perhaps?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:33 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:

GLP Cumberland, perhaps?

Great suggestion Chris. Yes, I heartedly endorse this!

cheers

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought to try Three Friars because of the Three Nuns association. As for Cumberland, I'm seeing mention of Haddo's in a review. How accurate is that? I didn't take to Haddo's like I thought I would, so that concerns me a little in regard to Cumberland.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:17 pm

To my taste, the role of the perique in Cumberland is pure condiment.

I can't smoke freshly tinned Haddo's Delight. The combination of the perique and whatever topping is used, is overpowering to my senses, and I really like perique.

Cumberland other the other hand, is quite fine regardless of tin date. It ages well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Haddo's and night train are different animals. I prefer Haddo's to Cumberland personally but Cumberland would be a good one to try for the Night Train connection. However, may I suggest my absolute favorite c&d crumble cake if you're just up to trying stuff. Honor blend. Your welcome in advance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:07 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
However, may I suggest my absolute favorite c&d crumble cake if you're just up to trying stuff. Honor blend. Your welcome in advance.

That's good stuff. I can really taste the Turkish in it.

If you're gonna go Orientals with perique, Oriental Silk is another homerun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:51 pm

I need to dig back into my sample of that one. I had it and dusk and got carried away with the dusk. I will have a bowl soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:55 pm

It's amazing how expensive this is now. It's 1.83Xs higher now than just six years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Everything has gone up in price... Not getting any less expensive either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
There's the old general rule/expectation in retail of 1-3%/year mark-up for inflation (from my experience in working and managing in retail in the pre-2000 eras), but near-14%/year is almost at health care rates of inflation. So in my view, there's "everything goes up" and then the unsustainable "EVERYTHING GOES UP." If I was one to stockpile tobacco --which I am not, but I should be-- the inflationary trend would be more of a driver than any paranoia over laws or blenders closing shop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:
There's the old general rule/expectation in retail of 1-3%/year mark-up for inflation (from my experience in working and managing in retail in the pre-2000 eras), but near-14%/year is almost at health care rates of inflation.  So in my view, there's "everything goes up" and then the unsustainable "EVERYTHING GOES UP."  If I was one to stockpile tobacco --which I am not, but I should be-- the inflationary trend would be more of a driver than any paranoia over laws or blenders closing shop.

I'm with you on that. The inflation really cut's into my retirement funds. Unless one of my stocks splits again I'll be focusing more on my homegrown blends again rather than acquiring other's wares. Though it is so much easier to buy than to make, the cost is getting prohibitive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Is it me, or has Night Train changed in the past few years. I couldn't pinpoint when, because I've been smoking down the reserves until recently. I got a new pound last month, and it is lighter in color, more fruity in scent in its block form, and less nutty in flavor. Even a little tangy in taste. Anyone else feel this way?

The thing is that either my sense of taste has changed a lot in the last two or so years, or something is going on in the blending industry and blends are being altered. I've noticed a big difference in McClelland #2015 as well. That one, I'm positive it isn't my taste being all whacko. So #2015 and Night Train --2 of my big 3-- have been altered. I hope the third hasn't also changed this much (Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:41 pm

Zeno,

You know, I am wondering if perhaps there are subtle differences with the overall available allotment of perique. As I am noticing very slight changes in a few blends that I smoke, and they all contain perique. Lord knows the demand for it is awfully high lately. It might be a good question for Mark Ryan. I am sure that batches of perique vary from year to year and while Mark Ryan strives for consistency, the results of the fermentation process might be something that's very hard to control. And while it's completely up to the blender to get their products right by choosing the right leaf, they always have to settle for subtle variances in the leaf they buy. That said I guess it could be the Virginia or in the case of Night Train the burley leaf that C&D procures as well, but I would think due to the limited processing, the flue and air cured stuff would be easier to keep consistent from year to year.

I have been smoking a bit of Night Train lately, and to me the current stuff tastes bright and fresh. To my taste, C&D uses a lot of young tasting leaf, stuff that's nowhere near as matured as that of many other blenders, but the firm, bold taste of this fresh leaf is kind of their signature. Personally, I like to lay all my C&D tins down for a spell, especially the Pease weed. Anyway, the Night Train I am smoking is quite hearty and tastes good, but it's sprite. I do notice a bit of tang to it, again the perique maybe?. Different from the old stock? I am not knowledgeable enough with the old Night Train to say, and by no means am I a Night Train aficionado but I do really like what I am smoking currently.

Maybe Rande, aka Brewdude will chime in. I know he has experience with it and smokes a good amount of it as a night cap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Cornell & Diehl Night Train   Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:24 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Zeno,

You know, I am wondering if perhaps there are subtle differences with the overall available allotment of perique. As I am noticing very slight changes in a few blends that I smoke, and they all contain perique. Lord knows the demand for it is awfully high lately. It might be a good question for Mark Ryan. I am sure that batches of perique vary from year to year and while Mark Ryan strives for consistency, the results of the fermentation process might be something that's very hard to control. And while it's completely up to the blender to get their products right by choosing the right leaf, they always have to settle for subtle variances in the leaf they buy. That said I guess it could be the Virginia or in the case of Night Train the burley leaf that C&D procures as well, but I would think due to the limited processing, the flue and air cured stuff would be easier to keep consistent from year to year.

I have been smoking a bit of Night Train lately, and to me the current stuff tastes bright and fresh. To my taste, C&D uses a lot of young tasting leaf, stuff that's nowhere near as matured as that of many other blenders, but the firm, bold taste of this fresh leaf is kind of their signature. Personally, I like to lay all my C&D tins down for a spell, especially the Pease weed. Anyway, the Night Train I am smoking is quite hearty and tastes good, but it's sprite. I do notice a bit of tang to it, again the perique maybe?. Different from the old stock? I am not knowledgeable enough with the old Night Train to say, and by no means am I a Night Train aficionado but I do really like what I am smoking currently.

Maybe Rande, aka Brewdude will chime in. I know he has experience with it and smokes a good amount of it as a night cap.

You rang? Very Happy

Indeed, I do enjoy NT regularly. And my stock is all aged (>5 yrs) so I don't have any experience with the newer stuff. Perhaps some age will cure some of these issues I've been reading on this thread.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

Cornell & Diehl Night Train
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2