HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What Are You Reading?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Meerorbriar

Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:36 am

Curently reading A Case for Christ, by Lee Stobel. An interesting perspective from an initially atheist investigative journalist who made his living as a reporter on the crime scene in Chicago.

Hp
Meer
flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:43 am

Meerorbriar wrote:
Curently reading A Case for Christ, by Lee Stobel. An interesting perspective from an initially atheist investigative journalist who made his living as a reporter on the crime scene in Chicago.

Hp
Meer
flower

Great apologetic!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Kea

Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:41 pm

Thank you! Tracked them down at Amazon; those three are going down my list next.

I am currently reading the Complete Sherlock Holmes collection: apart from the obvious, it gives a good insight into the Victorians and some old fashioned English.

Bill D wrote:
Last night I finished the third, and last, volume of Shelby Foote's The Civil War. Each book of the trilogy was over a thousand pages each! I read them over a span of about a year, reading a little each night. I took a few weeks off in between each volume. Reading every word of this awesome set of books was a goal of mine for a while. The reading is a little slow at first, until you get used to his writing style. I highly recommend them to anybody interested in USA Civil War history. Fun to read while smoking a pipe!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:00 pm

"The Minuteman: Restoring an Army of the People", by Gary Hart.

It's time to restore the Constitutional Militia before it is too late!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Bill D

Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:58 pm

Kea wrote:
Thank you! Tracked them down at Amazon; those three are going down my list next.

I am currently reading the Complete Sherlock Holmes collection: apart from the obvious, it gives a good insight into the Victorians and some old fashioned English.

Hi Kea. It definitely gives one an insight on life during those times here in the US. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:15 pm

luckydogguy wrote:
Does looking through a catalogue qualify as "reading"? scratch

If so, I'm "READING" the new Cabelas Catalogue. And dreaming about duck hunting! I can't wait!

Lucky

Hey Lucky,

Have you ever read any of Gordon MacQuarrie's books? If you're dreaming about duck hunting already, you'll love his books.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Python

Registration date : 2008-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:04 am

Just recently finished Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
luckydogguy

Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:07 am

Jim,

Thanks for the heads up and the link! cheers

Lucky
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:36 pm

Lucky,

You're quite welcome! Glad I could help.

For any closet duck hunters or wannabe duck hunters or outdoor sports readers here are the links I sent Lucky--
site about Gordon MaQuarrie-
http://www.gordonmacquarrie.com/
Willow Press new book of Gordon stories-
http://www.willowcreekpress.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=wcp/PROD/GordonMacQuarrie/0320
Reprints of his books are available at most on-line book stores too.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kea

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:35 am

Quote :
Hi Kea. It definitely gives one an insight on life during those times here in the US. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Hi Bill, Good to know that Mr. Doyle was getting it right about US ( sometimes that's not the case).

Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jeepernick
Mud Flaps

Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:23 pm

Heller With A Gun - Louis L'Amour
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hazmat

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:03 am

Currently reading The Virtues of War by Stephen Pressfield. It's an historical novel of Alexander the Great's conquests. I've been interested in that period of history and after reading the "true" histories available, this book seemed like a good way to provide the drama histories tend to lack. Pressfield did a good job, a good read if you're into this kind of thing.

Currently waiting on George R.R. Martin's next offering in the Song of Fire and Ice saga. Good stuff if you're into fantasy at all and 4 thick books to read while awaiting the next installment.

Also have going From Dawn to Decadence by Jacques Barzun and am slowly but surely whittling away at Penguin's A History of the World.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:29 pm

I'm half way through February's "Pipe Collector" newsletter put out By "The North American Society of Pipe Collectors"... If you folks don't currently subscribe you're really missing out on a great read....

Best,
Dock
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Kea

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:51 am

hazmat wrote:
Currently reading The Virtues of War by Stephen Pressfield. It's an historical novel of Alexander the Great's conquests. I've been interested in that period of history and after reading the "true" histories available, this book seemed like a good way to provide the drama histories tend to lack. Pressfield did a good job, a good read if you're into this kind of thing.

I am taking note. BTW, have you read "The Peloponesian War" by Donald Kagan? Historical book witten in a very fluent and accessible way.

Quote :

Currently waiting on George R.R. Martin's next offering in the Song of Fire and Ice saga. Good stuff if you're into fantasy at all and 4 thick books to read while awaiting the next installment.

Waiting? I am agonising! Rolling Eyes I discover the series in Christmas 06, read the four books in about two months, full steam ahead .... and going to a sudden stop as the 5th book was still in the air.
At R.R. Martin's site, back in Feb 07, it seemed as if Summer 07 was the release date, now it seems that we will be lucky if by late 08 . Go on , Santa! Make my Christmas! cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gospelman

Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:29 am

"The Greatest Generation", Tom Brokaw.

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:43 pm

Presently half way through "I Love My Rifle More Than You". Very interesting tome about a former Female soldier and her views of having served in Iraq. Interesting.
Andy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bolson

Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:31 pm

I think it is fair to say that currently I am studying this forum and quite busy reading a billion posts. So much to learn, so little tobacco in my cellar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Ferrill
The Enlightened One

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:31 pm

"Studies in the Lankavatara Sutra" by D.T.Suzuki,and also looking through Grandmaster Wally Jay's "Small Circle Jiu Jitsu" to see if I've missed anything big.....I get up an hour early to read,sometimes I have to greet an early rising tot instead.My kids are mutants-don't need much sleep!!!!
LIFE IS GOOD!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Tony
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kuruma

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:56 pm

Right at the moment I'm working my way through the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. A very good tale. Not very much like his other books and I think that is what I like about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Declare, by Tim Powers. Bought the book a few years ago, when he came to town on a book tour. Only now started it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:40 pm

I've just finished "The Day of Battle" by Rick Atkinson,the war in Sicily and Italy
1943-44.Excellent writing,holds your interest.
I'm recovering from a hernia surgery for the next few weeks and now I can get to a lot of books.How I love reading while smoking a churchwarden pipe!I let it rest on my chest as I enjoy bowl after tasty bowl.

Winslow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeBrew

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:37 pm

Death on a Friday Afternoon by Richard John Neuhaus
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/saharanyeti
vaperfavour

Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:10 am

Heretics of dune by Frank herbert. this series makes you smarterer! lol! the long view, yes the long view.the TPSE book 2. wow! i have had it for a month and i see this taking me a year or more! such info, such camaraderie, such pipe lore! someone should scan this in to the puter for all to read and enjoy. also finishing Studies in ancient germanic philology, 1899. intersting for those of us who monitor the old agument of where the ancient germanic tribes came up with runic script. Become a better you by Joel Osteen a gift from a lady friend ( she tryin to tell me somethin' ? ) A History of the Dvorak keyboard by r. craigs, the instruction manual to my new phone, an htc touch phone, the owners manual to my sony vaio, my faithful copy of The Federalist Papers, study study study the latest bio of Der Maestro Ldwig Van Beethoven, ummm i think thats it for now!!!!! READING leads to THOUGHT, THOUGHT leads to ACTION< ACTION leads to EXPERIENCE, and EXPERIENCE leads the LUCKY to WISDOM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vaperfavour

Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:20 am

Forgot one: Fundamentals of Spectroscopy textbook. did you know that modern science can tell the Exact chemical composition of a thing just by the light reflected off of it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hazmat

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:26 am

The Bloody Ground by Bernard Cornwell. It's a work of Civil War historical fiction. Cornwell's one of the best in the biz when it comes to this genre. No messing about, just page-turning goodness.

Also, working on a few by Jonathan Lethem, Motherless Brooklyn and Gun, With Occassional Music.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What Are You Reading?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 37Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19 ... 37  Next