HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pocket knife: suggestions needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:42 pm

So, after having so much fun looking for a pocket light, the decision was made to look also for a pocket knife. Currently I don't have any, I really never felt much of a need for it. Probably a multitool would make more sense. Nonetheless, I would like to indulge and get something fun and useful. A few years ago I almost got a Lone Wolf Loveless City Knife. They are not being sold anymore, but its simplicity, size, and shape were very attractive. Something along similar lines to carry in a pocket (no belt sheaths) would be great.

A multitool would make more sense, but it all depends on its size. I need to see it in person before making a decision, so Iím going to the local REI store after lunch. I have yet to Google it to see whatís out there in terms of size and quality.

PS- I almost forgot that I do have a pocket knife. Itís a Case Doctor knife, which I purchased a few years back because some ASP posters were saying good things about the Baby Doctor. Not knowing the difference, I stupidly bought the full sized one, which is way too big to be used in a pipe and was promptly forgotten in the bottom of a drawer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:10 pm

I don't know much about mutli tools; all of my knives are more self defense or utility type knives.

But, many of us in south Texas believe Cold Steels are the best knives available; more speccifically, we like the Cold Steel Voyager with the tanto blade. They come in varying sizes, so you can find one that suits you.

I have a couple of Kershaws as well because they have spring-assisted opens (think legal switch blade).
Back to top Go down
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:10 pm

I carry a Swiss Army Multitool,I've had several other brands......Buck,Leatherman,
Gerber.Nothing is equal to the Swiss Army tool,I won't leave home without it.As
a matter of fact I feel not quite complete without it,like not having a timepiece with
me. Smile

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stan41

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:55 pm

For a pocket knife to carry, I don't think you can beat the Boker Tree Brand Stockman. I also have a leatherman multi purpose tool, but it is heavier than I want to carry every day.
Stan41
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:11 pm

stan41 wrote:
For a pocket knife to carry, I don't think you can beat the Boker Tree Brand Stockman. I also have a leatherman multi purpose tool, but it is heavier than I want to carry every day.
Stan41

I agree on the Boker. That's always a good choice. I usually carry a Swiss Army knife. One of the smaller ones with just a couple of blades and a screwdriver. I never thought about using a pocket knife on my pipe though. Maybe I missunderstood you. Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:37 pm

The Case is an excellent pocket knife. I have several of them including the Baby Doc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hammer8

Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:15 pm

I've always been a fan of Buck knives. I got many, many years of service from one of their Stockman models until I lost it. They also make a slightly smaller version of that knife called the Cadet. This may be closer to what you're looking for.

American made. Family owned. Lifetime Warranty. 'Nuff said
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Subject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:46 pm

I like Spyderco knives. I really like the serrated blades on them. They are razor sharp and will cut damn near anything. I am also very partial to Cold Steel as well. I have a Ti-Lite & a Elite Series Tanto (Black Oxide Finish). I also carry a Ka Bar TDI Police Tanto (Serrated) at work as a "Sh** Hits the fan" / Last ditch backup. All are very concealable and cut VERY well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:57 pm

Well, today I went knife shopping. Didnít quite find what I want yet, but made a few purchases based on your suggestions: a Victorinox Classic, a Buck Gent, a Cold Steel Urban Pal, and a Cold Steel Mini Pal for the wifeís keychain. They are all great little inexpensive knives to play with, but a bit unsatisfying. Still lookingÖ

Centurian 803 wrote:
I never thought about using a pocket knife on my pipe though. Maybe I missunderstood you. Question
No, I'm not looking for a knife for the pipe. The Case Baby Doc has a spatula for the ashes and a flat end that can be used as a tamper. It seems to be favored by many as a pipe tool.

Yes, I looked at some by Spyderco, but I really liked the Benchmade. Note that I am looking for a small folder, nothing tactical or professional. Something pretty and nearly useless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HistoryMajor

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:23 am

In my opinion, if you're looking for a multitool, Leatherman simply cannot be beat. Extremely sturdy, versatile, lifetime warranty... Only downside is their size, in which case a Swiss Army Knife is the way to go I think. I carry a Leatherman at work and it's constantly being used.

If you're looking for something scarier for hunting or anything else...I'm not much help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:58 am

Case Brand (pre-1980) Moose IMHO is the best all around pocket knife on the market. You can still find them in mint condition on eBay and at the gun & knife shows. They are rugged and the blades are carbon steel for quick and easy sharpening. You have to sharpen them a little more often but it is much easier to put a fine edge on them than it is with some of the stainless knives on the market today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Buck

Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:03 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
So, after having so much fun looking for a pocket light, the decision was made to look also for a pocket knife. Currently I don't have any, I really never felt much of a need for it. Probably a multitool would make more sense. Nonetheless, I would like to indulge and get something fun and useful. A few years ago I almost got a Lone Wolf Loveless City Knife. They are not being sold anymore, but its simplicity, size, and shape were very attractive. Something along similar lines to carry in a pocket (no belt sheaths) would be great.

A multitool would make more sense, but it all depends on its size. I need to see it in person before making a decision, so Iím going to the local REI store after lunch. I have yet to Google it to see whatís out there in terms of size and quality.

PS- I almost forgot that I do have a pocket knife. Itís a Case Doctor knife, which I purchased a few years back because some ASP posters were saying good things about the Baby Doctor. Not knowing the difference, I stupidly bought the full sized one, which is way too big to be used in a pipe and was promptly forgotten in the bottom of a drawer.

The best pocket knife for you, or anyone else for that matter, is the one that best suits their habits and needs day to day. There is no such thing as the perfect pocket knife that suits everyone the same.

As can be seen here some people get along fine day to day with no knife at all. However, if you should decide to carry a pocket knife today make 110% sure is not only fits you and your needs but your work place rules or the social rules of those you meet everyday.

That said, it sounds like you would like to carry a pocket knife that would also serve as a pipe tool as well. Well, there's good news on that front! Look on e-bay for pipe tools to see all the neat older pipe tools that also included a blade that served as cutter and scraper. May take you awhile to find one but they are out there. I found a limited edition Kershaw knife/pipe tool on ebay that severs my pipe/cutting tasks just right and never offends anyone when I use it like a proper pocket knife might.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:50 pm

Well, I finally settled with a Leatherman Juice and an Al Mar Hawk as the best combination for me. The Juice is too big for my pocket but fits well in the briefcase. The Al Mar is very light and thin, and itís beautiful.

Thank you to all who replied to this thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Wet Dottle wrote:
Well, I finally settled with a Leatherman Juice and an Al Mar Hawk as the best combination for me. The Juice is too big for my pocket but fits well in the briefcase. The Al Mar is very light and thin, and itís beautiful.

Thank you to all who replied to this thread.

Hear, hear! Most excellent choices both!

I, too, carry a yellow Juice and an Al Mar Eagle auto opener. Since I only have one free hand free ,due to my cane, the Eagle is easy for me to use. The little juice has save my bacon more than once too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:19 pm

Buck, the Eagle is a sweet, sweet knife. It was just a little too big for what I wanted. But I'm glad to hear that my choices are not too unreasonable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eulenburg

Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Only one pocket knife worthy of a gentleman and a scholar: a Laguiole!!

My dad gave me one when I was 9 and it's still one of my most priced possessions.

Laguiole, of course, also make the ultimate, the supreme pipe tools!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Nice one. I think Iím getting KAD (knife acquisition disorder). I just purchased a Benchmade Shoki. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Eulenburg wrote:
Only one pocket knife worthy of a gentleman and a scholar: a Laguiole!!

My dad gave me one when I was 9 and it's still one of my most priced possessions.

Laguiole, of course, also make the ultimate, the supreme pipe tools!

This French knife line is the only one not in my collection. They are so fine,delicate and beautiful I never could make up my mind which one to buy! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eulenburg

Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:00 pm

I know the feeling exactly. As does my poor abused pocket. You just need to buy more than one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Pocket knife: suggestions needed   Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:28 pm

I am a big fan of Emerson knives
as well as Kershaws.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pocket knife: suggestions needed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1