HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What constitutes a high grade pipe?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What constitutes a high grade pipe?   Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
I can't touch this question with a ten-foot pole.  I have no idea how to really answer this with any clarity or consistency.  There's so much context here.  I consider(ed) Ascorti to be high-grade pipes when I was paying $35 for the things.  I reckon price has to play some part in it now, but in years' past, it didn't.  Times, they have a-changed.

At one time, the answer to the “high-grade” question would have been, “Charatan,” They were well-made, expensive and the first pipe to beak the $100 barrier. Whew! $100! There is a way to objectively define what the term means at this point in time — Look at X-number of instances in which the term is used, spoken and/or written. Then deductively put together a definition. We’d likely find the use of the phrase varied among makers, users, collectors ... And words change meaning over time. They’re not static. But that’s typical for the process. As Elvis said, “They said you was high class, but that was just a lie.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JensDK

Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: What constitutes a high grade pipe?   Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:39 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
I can't touch this question with a ten-foot pole.  I have no idea how to really answer this with any clarity or consistency.  There's so much context here.  I consider(ed) Ascorti to be high-grade pipes when I was paying $35 for the things.  I reckon price has to play some part in it now, but in years' past, it didn't.  Times, they have a-changed.

I agree with you. Of course you can objectively make out criteria for high-end pipes, and surely I can appreciate a piece of fine craftmanship. But when it comes to smoking, high-end isn't always better than low-end. Years ago I owned a beautiful rusticated Winsløw. It was a real beauty, but it felt heavy and unbalanced, and the conic bowl walls made it impossible to get a good taste.
On the other end of the scale I recently bought a low-end estate pipe from Comoy's Everyman line. I barely feel it when holding it between my teeth, and I've rarely ever tasted a better mixture than in this pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What constitutes a high grade pipe?   Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 pm

It's the three P's
* PRICE
* PRICE
* PRICE
Always has been, always will! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denholrl

Registration date : 2012-10-19

PostSubject: High Grade   Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:54 pm

For me, a high grade pipe must be made from exquisite briar and be designed so that all the lines flow uninterrupted and make "sense" to the eye. In my experience, most pipes that I would call high grade are hand carved and are one-of-a-kind.

Of course another way to talk about high grade is in reference to the highest grade (most expensive grade) made and labeled by a company, i.e., Dunhill DR or Collector series, Celius King, Peterson Supreme. Comoy's Specimen Straight Grain, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What constitutes a high grade pipe?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2