HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

rotation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
clueless

Registration date : 2009-04-01

PostSubject: rotation   Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:53 pm

What is the reason behind the traditional advice to have a rotation that emables one to smoke a pipe a day and rest it for a week? I smoke from 4-10 bowls a day. Sometimes I smoke one pipe all day. At other times I may use 4 or 5 pipes in a day. Sometimes I smoke the same pipe for 3 or 4 days in a row. All my pipes are low to mid range briars that I clean daily when smoked, more often if I start to inhale ash or get a bad taste. Am I doing something that will eventually damage my pipes? Some are estate pipes that are quite old some are purchased new this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: rotation   Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:34 am

Pipes require rest for two reasons:

1. To allow them to cool down between smokes.

2. To allow them to dry between smokes.

Remember that briar is still wood, even though it is fire resistant. This is why cooling is important. If I do not allow my pipes to dry between smokes, this is what causes a pipe to funk up, usually requiring the salt and whiskey trick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: rotation   Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

If I smoke a pipe all day, I always give it a week's rest.

But, if I smoke a pipe once, then switch to another pipe, this pipe only needs 1 day to rest.

At the early point of my pipe collection when I had 5-7 pipes, I simply smoked the same pipe all day, then smoked again in a week. As my collection reached 30, I would pick out 2-3 pipes to smoke in a day, then rested them only a few days if I wanted to smoke that pipe again.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Dodge

Registration date : 2009-09-20

PostSubject: Re: rotation   Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:09 pm

I see the science behind it but most of our grandfathers who smoked a pipe could barely afford the luxury of having one. Maybe they just don't make em' like they used to. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

rotation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1