HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

BOB's biggest loser

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:53 am

This is a weight loss topic
1. Where were you?
2. How much did you lose?
3. Where are you now?
4. Secrets for success.
5. Any resolutions for 2010?

I weighed 216 lbs (42 inch waste) and lost 50 lbs (35 inch waste). My big problem was over eating so I started eating more sensibly. I now weigh 195 lbs, which is a comfortable weight for me. I go to the YMCA regularly and would like to lose about 10 lbs.
Bub
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:16 am

When I graduated from College in '01 I weighed 265 and had a 40in waist and took a 50R coat.
6months of survey work and I weighed 220 and had a 34' waist. I am now about 230 and wear a 36.
I wish I could get back to my HS wrestling weight of 175 but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:24 pm

In the last 3 years, i have lost about 70 pounds of fat, basically going from a 6xl to a 3xl (or 2xl) shirt.

Due to weights, my weight sometimes increases but my waist size goes down. I've had to punch holes in my belt and I'm on the last hole right now.

For me, it's about losing inches and fat, not weight. Incidentally, if you diet and don't work out, you essentially lose muscle, not fat. So even though you are losing weight, you are actually getting fatter.

Weight is a mofo:
I've been 220 and slim (what some call skinny).
220 and muscular
220 and just plain fat

My optimal weight at my height is about 220, but this may change as I increase my muscle mass.
Back to top Go down
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:32 pm

According to the U.S. Air Force tables I am the perfect weight for my height, assuming there are 2 of me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:55 pm

6'2", 235 #'s now.

Was 280. Lost 45 #'s but built a lot of muscle, so I don't know how much fat I lost. Plenty, I'm guessing. Went from a 44 waist to a 38.

Secrets? Aside from sound diet and weight lifting (cardio is the long, hard, less effective way to lose fat. Some is good but lifting and building mass is the ticket) I'd say that motivation is the key. Guilt is a poor motivator, depression won't get your butt off the couch and into the gym, you have to find a reason to want to do it.

Resolutions? To keep wanting to.......

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:01 pm

To add to Puff's post: once you get in the gym it becomes addicting, so it's hard to NOT go. But taking a day off here and there leads to a week leads to....well you get the picture.

I just had a discussion with a coworker about my change. Hard to believe that I weight more.

Back when I started working out, I weight in at about 270. Within a few months, I was down 2 pant sizes but weighed in at 300. Then 315, yet my gut is smaller. This is why I do not use the scale to gauge my progress.

I weighed in at 348 this morning, but I am slimmer than when I was 270 a few years ago. I'd like to get back to 230 or so pretty quick, but I'm really not gonna worry about it as long as I see improvement.

I do want to increase my cardio though.
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:05 pm

How tall are you TO? Sounds like you should be playing nose tackle for those Cowboys! Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:16 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
How tall are you TO? Sounds like you should be playing nose tackle for those Cowboys! Very Happy
6" 2'
Back to top Go down
Anthony

Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Texas Outlaw wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:
6" 2'

Two feet, six inches? DAMN. lol Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:24 pm

Texas Outlaw wrote:
6" 2'
Yep, you block, I'll run Laughing

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Anthony wrote:
Texas Outlaw wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:
6" 2'

Two feet, six inches? DAMN. lol Razz

damned dyslexia
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
Texas Outlaw wrote:
6" 2'
Yep, you block, I'll run Laughing

I'll block for you anytime. That's what caused me to quit football. I started as a tailback. I was the better blocker so I was moved to fullback where I made the other back famous. I did such a good job blocking, the coaches thought I was going to make a good guard. So I joined the band....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm

Bub wrote:
This is a weight loss topic

4. Secrets for success.
5. Any resolutions for 2010?

I weighed 216 lbs (42 inch waste) and lost 50 lbs (35 inch waste). My big problem was over eating so I started eating more sensibly. I now weigh 195 lbs, which is a comfortable weight for me. I go to the YMCA regularly and would like to lose about 10 lbs.
Bub

I didn't address these questions.
4. Never quit. Ever!

5. Help others with their fitness goals.
Back to top Go down
Doc Manhattan
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:52 pm

Texas Outlaw wrote:
damned dyslexia
Careful... that same mistake caused this scenario:

"There was a Stonehenge monument that was in danger of being trampled BY A DWARF ! That tended to understate the enormity of the object!"

View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:29 pm

I did it (some say the easy way, others the hard way) by having gastric bypass surgery on January 7th 2007. 6' 2" 412 pounds, currently 6' 2" and holding 175 pounds for the last six months. I did drop down to 160 pounds before I stabilized at my current weight. Thatís about 237 pounds total weight loss.

The reason I say some say easy way and others say the hard way is I seesawed with my weight my entire live. Dieting, wrestling in high school and was a power lifter for a little over two years but could only get down to about 225 pounds and then go back up to 300+ pounds. Fighting the urge to eat was the hardest thing I could do (so I consider it the hard way). Due to becoming diabetic, high blood pressure (three pills a day), heart problems and arthritis I decided to have the gastric bypass. I wish I had done it years ago.

To me it was the easy and permanent way to go. Others say this is the hard way affraid due to a complete life style change that you must go through. From eating habits to being on high potency vitamins the rest of your life. You "really", "really", "really" have to watch what you eat or drink or you can get pretty sick (they call it "dumping syndrome" bounce in the gastric bypass world). Too much sugar and you can get violently ill (depression, cold sweats, diarrhea Embarassed and vomiting Razz ). They say you will do it once after surgery and remember it and never do it again Shocked . They were right. I did it one time and one time only. The same thing goes for eating fatty foods. Different foods affect people different ways. Most people can eat beef pretty soon after the surgery and have a tough time with chicken. I am the opposite. I still have a tough time eating beef unless it is ground. I can't eat breads while eating my meal or I get sick. Drinking alcohol is out of the question except in very small amounts. And I do mean small. One beer and I am rip roaring drunk drunken . I know, I had a twelve ounce beer during a Diamondbacks baseball game last year and thought I was going to have to be driven home. Drank it in the first two innings, don't remember the next five innings and was stone cold sober by the ninth. Since the bottom 4/5ths of my stomach has being bypassed I do not process the needed vitamins like everyone else so I really have to watch my "lack" of vitamin intake. The biggest problem areas are vitamin B and D. I have had it pretty easy changing my life style. Others I know who have had the surgery have had it pretty rough, both mentally and physically. Because of the grace of God I have been pretty lucky and have had a pretty easy go of it since the surgery.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallSmoke

Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm 6'7". Here is some weight history:

1. Senior Year High School at graduation: 210
2. Sophomore year (D-I basketball player): 225
3. Senior Year in College (end - 21 yrs old): 250
4. Day I got married (25 yrs old): 265
5. July 1, 2009: 322
6. Today: 304

When I hit 322 I decided I had better do something. I want to get back to around 260ish. The first thing I did was stop drinking calories. Yep, water only. The first 10 lbs came off fast. So I have struggled with food and exercise the last few months, but am still mainly drinking water, except for the occasional adult beverage. Greatly reducing potatoes, breads, obvious sugars. I am trying to get more serious. I find it hard to resist delicious food when it is free. Lots of free food laying around at work lately. Hoping to really buckle down after the holidays. My BP could really use the weight loss and exercise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishingpipe.blogspot.com
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:47 pm

1. Where were you? 230 lbs as a competitive (Olympic style) weightlifter
2. How much did you lose? 70 lbs to become a competitive road cyclist
3. Where are you now? No idea. Fat and old.
4. Secrets for success. 17,000 miles riding per season (appx 400 mi/week)
5. Any resolutions for 2010? Smoke more tobacco, eat more cheesecake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:56 am

Free food is a bitch, Tall. I worked today and sure enough...doughnuts. I see it this way: if someone would offer you to add 2 inches to your waist for free, would you accept? If someone offered to add 2 pounds of fat to you body for free, would you accept?

No, you say? Well those free dough nuts, cookies, pies, tacos.... you say no thank you and sip your water.
Back to top Go down
Al in Canada

Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:09 am

Well I am 5' 8" and was up to 245. My son kept poling me in the stomach and saying "whee!", like in those Pillsbury dough boy ads. My doctor started checking my blood sugar every time he saw me, and said that if I didn't do something I was going to go "diabetic".

So I cut out or down on fatty fast foods. I am on the road in sales a lot, so i generally am grabbing a meal on the go at least five days a week. I allowed myself one burger a week and fries 2 times a month.

I switched out of all sugar based drinks, although I do allow myself now to have hot tea at home sweetened with honey or brown sugar. But during the active weightloss period that was a no-no. As an avid pop drinker, the hardest switch was from sugar based pop to diet. I had to switch first to diet iced tea and then when i was used to that I made the move to diet colas.

I adopted apples as my snack food. Had an apple 30 to 45 minutes before every meal. Had them as a snack if I felt the urge when watching tv at night. No more chocolate bars. I am convinced you cannot gain weight eating apples. and it is hard to get tired of appples, their are so many varieties, so if you get tired of Macs switch to another variety.

I did a little power walking, if no where else, around a mall. I used one of those abdominal sit-up racks they flog on tv.

End result i got down to 185 in 16 months, and have drifted back up over the past few years to 195. I should go back and try to get down to 170-175. At no time did I lose more than 5 pounds in a week, and usually the loss was about 1 to 2 pounds. I went from a 44-46 waist to a 38", and now back to 40".

Because of the deliberate in-take of apples prior to a meal I ate less with out the empty feeling that usually accompanies "dieting". It was easy to cut down on the in-take simply because I felt full.

Now days I find sugar based pop/soda tastes "funny", and prefer the no calory versions. i used to drink Coke Classic, then Diet Pepsi, now Coke Zero is the preferred drink. I don't like "light" beer, so I have regular beer if I am going to have one, I just drink less.

Since I never felt deprived during the active weight loss cycle, I always got up from the table filling full, I got used to eating a smaller amount at a meal, remember this was a period of over a year, I have found it easy to maintain that type of eating pattern.

My best advice to someone else is set yourself up to win not to fail. Don't promise yourself that you aren't going to eat anything fattening over the holidays, between your desires and those of the people around you you will eat some rich food. You can moderate your intake, but don't use your program to "punish" yourself for being "fat". Take a long view, you probably didn't put all the weight on in a short period, so don't try to lose it in a short time. If you fall off the 'wagon" one day, don't take that as meaning you can't do it. And finally get something like a bucket, and fill it with sand or gravel to a weight of 20 pounds, and use this to remind you how much more energy you are going to have when you don't have the dead weight to carry.

Note ot Mikem: My parents had friends who had the gastric bypass surgery. They were a married couple (the ones having the surgery...well so were my parents). Two years later the man had lost the weight and kept it off, the woman managed to keep eating and 'stretched" her smaller stomach so that she put her original wieight loss back on. Guess she couldn't identify with being "small". I have a friend who had the surgery a little over a year ago, and is going through the losing cycle now. Last time I saw him he had lost 150#, but it is hard pschologically for him. Especially since his wife is also a "big" woman. I don't envy him at all. Cutting back on food can be as hard as cutting back on drinking, you sometimes have "friends" who don't want you to succeed. For drinkers it is an implied criticsm, "I was drinking too much, so I have cut back or quit, therefore since you are still drinking the same amount, then you aredrinking too much. Keep your eye on the prize, it is not what you are giving up it is what you are gaining, like years of life expectancy! good luck.

Al (in Canada)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:38 pm

The bucket tip from Al is good, but I got you one better and it will involve some cardio. You will need a 20 or 25 pound dumbbell or plate or anything that weights this much (use your dog if you cant find a weight).

This works better on a track because it is premeasured. Hold the weighted object against your chest or stomach and walk briskly for one lap. Put the weight down and walk another. See the difference? that's how much losing 20 pounds will change how you feel.

You will find that many people do indeed want to see you fail; this christian propagonda is only practiced openly with many finding satisfaction when others fail or struggle. One exception for me is the gym. Seems everybody there wants to see me succeed and is always talking up my body change as well as the intensity of my workout.

I counsel many of the overweight people (or ones that feel they are overweight) and the hardest thing that I have to help them with is why they have worked out or a year and only lost 20 or so pounds (they are assuming I've dropped over a hundred pounds, but remember, I've INCREASED my weight, only made my waist size smaller). I just stay positive and encourage them. I work out with them when I can, but it is tough due to my intensity ( I use a stop watch to ensure that I don't take to long between sets).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:43 pm

About Apples

I like to get my sugars naturally too and apples are great. I work with 2 nutrionist both body builders, and they have contrasting opinions. One wanted me to use fruits for enery in the morning. He had me on timed fruits (one at 10, one at 11, etc). The other dude thought that they were excess calories and replaced one of those with protein and the other with yogurt.

Who's right? Probably both. I do drop weight when I cut out fruit, but it affects my energy. I cycle them like I do other suppliments. When I'm cylcling off creatine and NO, I put fruits back into my diet. Hell I cheated on my diet yesterday: had some watermelon, cantelop and grapefruit. Pretty good way to cheat no? Smile
Back to top Go down
HistoryMajor

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:26 pm

Quote :
One beer and I am rip roaring drunk
Sounds highly cost effective! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Texas Outlaw wrote:
this christian propagonda

Wow you figured us out. We've spent 2000 years preaching you need to be fat with subliminal messages, drats we are busted red handed. I thought tonight's Deacon's meeting was going to be boring, apparently we will have to brainstorm some other nefarious scheme.

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:02 pm

PB wrote:"we will have to brainstorm some other nefarious scheme."

Does Santa Clause count?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: BOB's biggest loser   Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:36 pm

Bub wrote:
PB wrote:"we will have to brainstorm some other nefarious scheme."