HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Tiger just quit golf

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Tiger just quit golf   Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:58 pm

Not for good, but for an indefinite, open-ended period.

Ooooo... the only people in the GolfWorld who will be happy about that are the other players. Everyone else loses big time.

(the announcement is on his site)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anthony

Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:00 pm

LL wrote:
Not for good, but for an indefinite, open-ended period.

Ooooo... the only people in the GolfWorld who will be happy about that are the other players. Everyone else loses big time.

(the announcement is on his site)

Is it bad that whenever I think of Woods, I think of the Chapelle's Show skit of the Race Olympics and Tiger was declared "officially black"?

"GOODBYE FRIED RICE, HELLO FRIED CHICKEN!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:11 pm

Anthony wrote:

Is it bad that whenever I think of Woods, I think of the Chapelle's Show skit of the Race Olympics and Tiger was declared "officially black"?

"GOODBYE FRIED RICE, HELLO FRIED CHICKEN!"

I don't understand the connection, but it's ironic in that Chapelle did exactly the same thing. Quit show biz. Went off to be a monk, or some such.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anthony

Registration date : 2009-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Basically, that skit was about deciding whether or not a mixed race celebrity should be considered X or Y ethnicity, and nix one and fully represent the other. They voted and decided that Tiger was more African American than Asian. Razz Pretty off topic, but that's me.

I personally don't blame him for running away atm. I'd be embarrassed as all hell if I had a secret life that was brought out of the shadows...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:24 pm

LL wrote:
an indefinite, open-ended period.

The Masters in April, US open in June. He'll be there. He'll play a tournament or two before each of these. Just like Phil Mickelson did this year, his indefinite sabbatical will mean "I'll play a little, when I feel like it". There's too much money at stake to just bail for a couple of years. Not that he needs it, but he's taken a bunch from sponsors (with agreements to be a presence, one would assume) and then there's the PGA itself who will be on Tigers tail to hurry up and come back before it goes broke without him.

DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:51 pm

He is taking some time off from golf to concentrate on the important things in his life......... Like more skanks, prostitutes, and drunken cocktail waitresses in Las Vegas.

Damn, it's nice to see a man who knows what the priorities in life are!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:25 am

Kinda shoots his role model status all to hell,,,oh well, we all make choices,,,,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokey Joe

Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:59 pm

The PGA won't let him quit. That boy has made a lot of money not only for himself, but for all the corporations that have invested in him. He's no longer human, he's a brand and they aint gonna let him hide behind the scenes for long (IMO) santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:48 pm

mark wrote:
Kinda shoots his role model status all to hell,,,oh well, we all make choices,,,,

Well, what's the use of being famous if you can't use it for something... And who the hell wants to be a role model?
Back to top Go down
LL

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:33 pm

A potential game-changer just came up on the radar. Looks like Tiger's problems off the links are now the least of it.

He has been connected to sports medicine doctor Anthony Galea, a known Dr. Feelgood sort of character who is being investigated by both the Canadian and US govt's for illegal HGH distribution.

There could be an innocent explanation, of course (Tiger says he was receiving esoteric treatments to aid the post-surgery healing of his knee), but historically speaking, virtually all of the athletes who started off with such denials ended up getting busted in the end. From Marion Jones to Barry Bonds, keeping secrets is just too difficult in the digital record age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:07 pm

Is the fascination of this train wreck jealousy?

He's a golfer.. He doesn't make decisions concerning our socio-economic future, he doesn't lead my church, or watch my kids at day care, I don't work with him.

Average Joe (myself included) can't name any of the big tourneys but The Masters, and in all likely hood could be hoodwinked with someone other than Tiger by Nike as long as he had a Golf Club and they said it was Tiger... But the old lady beats him up and all of America is starving for Tiger news... Its unbelievable..

The kicker is within a mile of where you are, someone is doing the exact same thing that got Tiger in trouble, its a shame it has become so common place but because he is famous we all care? You think we'd be far more concerned with the neighbor doing it, their the ones your likely to catch the stray bullet from when their spouse find out....

The only thing remotely interesting to me is the women he is supposed to have been with, and not for why you'd think..... What in the world possess them to mess with married people? They have to know they are just a piece of strange....

Ok 1 more thing interests me, why'd he even get married? Its pretty apparent he wasn't done 'sowing oats'... It couldn't be love, you can't do that to someone you love... Was it image or something?

But both applies to cheaters in general, not just this particular case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:37 am

puros_bran wrote:
Is the fascination of this train wreck jealousy?

He's a golfer.. He doesn't make decisions concerning our socio-economic future, he doesn't lead my church, or watch my kids at day care, I don't work with him.

Average Joe (myself included) can't name any of the big tourneys but The Masters, and in all likely hood could be hoodwinked with someone other than Tiger by Nike as long as he had a Golf Club and they said it was Tiger... But the old lady beats him up and all of America is starving for Tiger news... Its unbelievable..

The kicker is within a mile of where you are, someone is doing the exact same thing that got Tiger in trouble, its a shame it has become so common place but because he is famous we all care? You think we'd be far more concerned with the neighbor doing it, their the ones your likely to catch the stray bullet from when their spouse find out....

The only thing remotely interesting to me is the women he is supposed to have been with, and not for why you'd think..... What in the world possess them to mess with married people? They have to know they are just a piece of strange....

Ok 1 more thing interests me, why'd he even get married? Its pretty apparent he wasn't done 'sowing oats'... It couldn't be love, you can't do that to someone you love... Was it image or something?

But both applies to cheaters in general, not just this particular case.

10-4 on the cheating thing. "You can't do that to someone you love" sums it up perfectly. I've thought that my entire life, and never seen anything to change my mind.

Regarding Tiger---or any other mega-rich athlete who goes off the rails (Michael Vick being another recent example)---the fascination has nothing to do with jealousy, and everything to do with the massive cultural distortion that goes into the myth-making, and then the shockwaves that result when the distortion springs back to its natural shape.

Namely, that because they like to be entertained by them, and for no other reason people rationalize and project all manner of unrelated positive attributes on their heroes, and fight to the bitter end to maintain that delusion/illusion. Let's see... Tiger is a grown man who is especially adept at chasing a little ball with a stick. That's it. That's ALL he does or has ever done. But major banks line up to pay him millions to simply be associated with their brand because people trust his image and face, never mind sneaker manufacturers.

For me, the interest is in watching large scale fantasy constructs like his come undone. It reveals so much about how people think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:57 am

LL wrote:

Regarding Tiger---or any other mega-rich athlete who goes off the rails (Michael Vick being another recent example)---the fascination has nothing to do with jealousy, and everything to do with the massive cultural distortion that goes into the myth-making, and then the shockwaves that result when the distortion springs back to its natural shape.

Namely, that because they like to be entertained by them, and for no other reason people rationalize and project all manner of unrelated positive attributes on their heroes, and fight to the bitter end to maintain that delusion/illusion. Let's see... Tiger is a grown man who is especially adept at chasing a little ball with a stick. That's it. That's ALL he does or has ever done. But major banks line up to pay him millions to simply be associated with their brand because people trust his image and face, never mind sneaker manufacturers.

For me, the interest is in watching large scale fantasy constructs like his come undone. It reveals so much about how people think.

This is exactly what I was referring to, expressed by a professional thinker/writer instead of a pipe repairman:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/20/opinion/20rich.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Tiger just quit golf   Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:30 am

I don't know if anyone has posted this or not but it is from Wood's personal website. Tiger Wood's comments on current events. Though I am not a huge fan of Tiger Woods I believe that his career is far from over and tend to agree with the comentary found on this website. Why the Tiger Woods brand is far from finished.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

Tiger just quit golf
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1