HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Rim Darkening!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Does Rim Darkening Bother You?
Yes!
48%
 48% [ 34 ]
No!
52%
 52% [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 71

AuthorMessage
Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Does rim darkening on an estate pipe drive you as crazy as it does me? I find the epedemic especially troubling on sandblasted and carved pipes as it's nearly impossible to get them clean again. When buying an estate piece it's one of the first things I look at and it's been responsible for me passing by many an otherwise great pipe. Whenever smoking myself I keep a clean paper towel nearby to wipe off the acumulating tars. I wish everyone prescribed to this practice! Laughing

I've heard many other smokers say that this problem isn't an issue for them at all. I recall talking to a major collector of JT Cooke pipes in NY a few years ago. I showed him a killer tanblast Cooke canadian on one of the tables there which had the darkest and ugliest rim you could ever imagine. He said that it wouldn't bother him in the slightest in fact, had he not owned a very similar pipe he would have bought it for the $700.00 asking price!

Does rim darkening drive you mad?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
Doc Manhattan
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 pm

Rim darkening drives me loco... and I have very few pipes that will ever have any meaningful resale value. It's just an aesthetic thing. I, too, keep a cleaning cloth nearby. But in the long run, not much you can do. Natural material with controlled fire inside it--it's just gonna change over time.

I suppose that's the deep-rooted psychological reason why I favor darker-finish pipes.

View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:46 pm

Drives me nuts with the exception of pipes that are intended for purely utilitarian purposes. i.e., my work pipes. I could care less, they're purely smokers and I didn't buy em for their looks.

But, I don't care what you do with your pipes. Unless, you're trying to sell em to me Laughing If you have a sweet high grade that's got a burned up rim but otherwise is fantastic, it's worth a ton less in my eyes. In fact, I'm not buyin it, period. If you buy pipes for aesthetic as well as utilitarian reasons, then I can't understand letting it get uglied up like that. Normal darkening with careful smoking is part of the pipes nature and doesn't bother me, but neglected burned up rims or dings from tapping out the ashes is simply inexcusable.

LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:

Personally, no. I like it, in fact. The same way a used leather jacket looks better than a new one, I think honestly earned "battle scars" enhance appearance.

That probably sounds perverse coming from a repairman, but it is what it is. Twisted Evil

There's virtually no pipe whose rim can't be re-cut and re-stained if it drives you buggy enough you can't live with it, though. (Remember that Florov, Dock? They don't get much trickier.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:11 pm

I use beeswax on my rims after cleaning then wipe after smoking, the Dockster will testify to this, and not loading the bowl all the way to the rim, Ken tongue
Pacem en Scrubbing! tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:14 pm

LL wrote:
Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:

Personally, no. I like it, in fact. The same way a used leather jacket looks better than a new one, I think honestly earned "battle scars" enhance appearance.

That probably sounds perverse coming from a repairman, but it is what it is. Twisted Evil

There's virtually no pipe whose rim can't be re-cut and re-stained if it drives you buggy enough you can't live with it, though. (Remember that Florov, Dock? They don't get much trickier.)

Oh yes. I remember it very well! cheers If I were blessed by god with your skills darkening wouldn't bother me at all George! I could fix and restain everything to perfection!
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:36 pm

I occasionally lick mine and give it a wipe. No biggie. But I don't beat them on anything.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:41 pm

Does rim darkening have an effect on the tobacco's flavor?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously I think it matters more to collector/high grade smokers than it does to the regular old joe... Now don't misunderstand me.. If its all beat to hell and the rims burnt its a diff story.. But if its otherwise cared for I think its probably the mark of a well smoked pipe.

I do however think it knocks serious bucks off of resale.. Not because its any less desirable to me, but because it very well maybe to the next guy that gets his hands on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:02 pm

Over the last month a NY City "E-Bay Drop N'Sell" store has been selling a very large pipe collection. The E-Bay store has been selling them off in lots of four to five at a time. This is no ordinary collection. The pipes included MANY crazy high end Larsens, Castellos and a slew of Japanese high grades. Almost all included their original boxes and socks. These were owned by a very rich man indeed. The prices, as they were sold in these lots was shockingly low. I was interested in two of the lots but was horrified to see the shape of their rims. Though none looked to be heavily smoked all were darkened and darkend bad. I DO wonder how much more they would have brought if they were cleaned and sold as individual pieces.
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Link? Twisted Evil

Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:34 pm

I don't wipe the rim of my pipes after every single smoke but from time to time I swob the rim of my pipes with a soft cloth and a drop of hot water to keep them clean. I do not like to see a pipe that most of the rim is darken beyond removal. It really doesn't take much to prevent it unless it has just been out right scortched.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Joseph76

Registration date : 2008-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:55 pm

LL wrote:
Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:

I'm the same. I love the look of a well-smoked briar with a nice dark rim.

I don't do it on all my pipes because I'm conscious of the collector value.

It's funny because my favorite pipes tend to be the more inexpensive pieces. I find it a lot of bother to keep a pipe in mint condition and those expensive pieces get smoked infrequently.

Last edited by Joseph76 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Carlos wrote:
I occasionally lick mine and give it a wipe. No biggie. But I don't beat it on anything.

I am SO tempted to comment!!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pipey McPiperson

Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:29 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Carlos wrote:
I occasionally lick mine and give it a wipe. No biggie. But I don't beat it on anything.

DO IT Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:45 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Carlos wrote:

lol! I think you just did Laughing

Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:48 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm fascinated that this is shaping up to be a 50/50 poll.

Half of us see a pipe with a darkend rim and think, "It's like a well-broken-in baseball glove."

The other half see it and think, "It's like a stripper with stretchmarks."

View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:19 pm

Pipey McPiperson wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
Carlos wrote:

DO IT Twisted Evil

I can't, I'd have to have myself banned. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack Straw

Registration date : 2009-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:29 pm

Well my answer depends on what you mean by darkening.

The accumulation of tar, which can be cleaned off does not bother me that much. I probably clean it off every other smoke.

Rim charring, on the other hand, where the actual wood is burnt, does bother me a little bit. My 70's half-blast stanwell has a little of this on the nearside of the bowl from a previous owner, but while I'd prefer it didn't have it, overall I think it adds to that pipe's character. If I charred my Peterson B'dog, which has a high-gloss cleaner look to it, I would be very disappointed in myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the macdonald

Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:56 pm

I am surprised no one has invented some sort of tar or char resistant coating to put on the rim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shadrack

Registration date : 2009-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Bothers me too. But being someone who tries to keep everything I own in tip top shape, it's only natural for me to hate it. Don't get me wrong, I don't lose sleep over rim darkening but it's nice to try to keep my pipes in as best condition as possible. Now if it's the crusty old emergency Grabow I keep in my glovebox, I prefer to have that look beaten to hell when I break it out. It's sort of like having a classic car. You want to keep it in as mint condition as possible for the sake of preserving such a fine classic example but then there are the junkers you take to a demolition derby and have ball treating badly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sstodvictory

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:18 pm

I'll buy a rim-darkened Ebay estate, but only if it looks like it will clean up, and on those I'm not the most determined bidder. From a brick and mortar store or other internet pipe retailers I'm less tolerant...I presume they've cleaned it up, and whatever is left is burn.

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phillpsych

Registration date : 2010-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Unbelievable, 50/50 on this so far. Now I know why I joined BoB. Who else but committed pipe smokers would ever have a conversation about rim darkening? I think about this all the time, and I'm very obsessive about keeping my pipes clean, even my beaters. (Honestly, I only have a couple really nice ones... but that will change.) Good topic.

I was actually going to start a topic on dottle... and will another time... no, I will now I think. I am encouraged to do it, because I have finally found a place on line where I can talk to other pipe smokers. It's a relief, honestly. Only another pipe smoker would understand why pipe rims are a subject of conversation.

Thanks guys...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:25 pm

She's kneck and kneck... Vote EARLY AND VOTE OFTEN! Vote elephant
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Rim Darkening!   Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 pm

I honestly feel the same way LL does,

I enjoy seeing a bit of colour, its like an old hat or pair of shoes, comfortable. Having said that i always wet my thumb with a little saliva and rub it on the rim prior to lighting on my nicer pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Rim Darkening!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next