HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

My Friend...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: My Friend...   Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:45 pm

Not really sure why I'm posting this. I guess out of pride for a man that I have deeply respected over the years and you guys are a patriotic bunch that will probably enjoy the quick story.

Years ago I went to basic training in Ft. Benning, GA. Home of the Army Infantry. I became friends with a guy named Randy Leppell who was from a neighboring town here in WA and who was in the same unit as I for the next couple of years.

Those of you that have been in the military (or any other situation where shared hardship brings you close to someone) will probably understand when I say we had a very strong friendship and he was one of the few people in my life that I always admired. His father was the Command Sergeant Major for the First Special Forces Group so he knew the military life and as with many father/son relationships felt he had some pretty big shoes to fill.

He was a good troop but wasn't happy with his assignment and the limited opportunities he saw so he decided to transfer to the Navy. Boy did he take some ribbing from us about that. His goal however was to become a SEAL which we all wished him luck on but knew it was tough to do.

We stayed in touch and his career was going along well but he had been unable to get to where he wanted. Then about five years ago he kind of disappeared and we haven't spoken since. I figured he must have gotten his chance and that would account for his quick departure and us not remaining in contact. Well yesterday I decided I would try to find him and see how things were going. So I did a couple searches and was amazed at what I had turned up. I don't think he ever made it into the SEALs but has had an inspiring career none the less.

http://greatamericans.com/video/The-2007-Sailor-of-the-Year-Ran

He did later loose three of his men in an RPG attack and here is a story on how they honored their deaths.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=31218

I'm hoping I will find some contact information on him so we can catch up on all the life lived since we last talked. In the meantime I'm proud to call this man my friend even though we haven't spoke in some time.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: My Friend...   Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:44 pm

I think I can understand why you are posting it and why you are proud to be the man's friend, despite the fact that I have never been in nor desired to be in the military.

One of my closest and oldest friends is serving in Afghanistan right now and I can't think of anyone I am more proud to call my friend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: My Friend...   Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Don't blame you on the military thing, I did enjoy a lot of it but obviously not enough to stay enlisted. Laughing

I guess it's just a personal reminder for me on how much they have to sacrifice to do something they actually believe in. If not for country but for their fellow soldiers. Also, being named Sailor/Soldier of the Year in any armed forces is no easy task. It's a very impressive accomplishment. It's not like most of your competition is a bunch of slackers. Laughing

"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: My Friend...   Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:48 pm

Why would anyone be proud of being Sailor/Soldier of the year? They still aint Marines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett

PostSubject: Re: My Friend...   Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:23 pm

I'd explain it but we all know that a Marine is way to dense to understand. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: My Friend...   Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Nice story of friendship J...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: My Friend...   Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Another of America's finest!!!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: My Friend...   Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:27 am

Jason, that is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/

My Friend...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1