HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The most anthropocentric "news story" ever

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:05 pm

(drumroll)....

Is Nature Out Of Control?

lol! lol! lol!

From a major news service, too, not a tabloid:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35618526/ns/world_news-chile_earthquake/

EDIT: It gets even better... the article's title was just changed to "Is Nature Going Crazy?"

Where's the forehead slap smiley???

I think this truly is the end for me. I can't stand it much longer.

Last edited by LL on Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:09 pm

The plates are bumping and grinding on one another in the seduction zone?? If it just had a honey pit and a massive flag pole it'd be a letter to Hustler.

Carlos
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:55 pm

This work?

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks, Carlos. Homer captures the feeling exactly. Laughing

In the 21st century, in one of the most tech-savvy cultures on the planet, animism is alive and well. A sufficient level of fear and desperation is all that's necessary to bring it out.

Margaret Mead is smiling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shootist51

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:38 am

I am contiually amazed by the dire speculation on the severity of climatic and geological events by the pundits.

The earth has been around several billion years and every event they wring their hands over has occurred over and over again in a cyclical fashion, but, based on recorded observations of the last 200 years, they make practically any alarmist claim that will, A. sell a product, B. fit a predetermined agenda, or C. Back up an earlier alarmist claim.

Well, I have to go out and read some bird entrails and sacrifice a chicken to the west wind...later
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:02 pm

shootist51 wrote:
I am contiually amazed by the dire speculation on the severity of climatic and geological events by the pundits.

The earth has been around several billion years and every event they wring their hands over has occurred over and over again in a cyclical fashion, but, based on recorded observations of the last 200 years, they make practically any alarmist claim that will, A. sell a product, B. fit a predetermined agenda, or C. Back up an earlier alarmist claim.

Well, I have to go out and read some bird entrails and sacrifice a chicken to the west wind...later

It's all about taxation! The next legislation that a majotrity of Americans voted to have rammed down our throats. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Doc Manhattan
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:04 pm

Most people are uncomfortable with the fact that the best assessment of the world is "Shit happens."

It's understandable that they ask "Why did this shit happen?" But it'd be much more helpful if they asked, "What can I do about this shit?"

Something you can do about this shit in Chile is donate what you can to Oxfam, the Red Cross, or another reputable relief charity.

I'm leaving science to the scientists, philosophy to the philosophers, and just writing a damn check.

View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:58 am

Justpipes wrote:
shootist51 wrote:

It's all about taxation! The next legislation that a majotrity of Americans voted to have rammed down our throats. cheers

Dang JP you dissappoint me, don't you mean it's an Obama plot.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Rad Davis

Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:50 pm

When I was in college in the 70s, everyone was worried about what to do to stop global cooling.

Whatever they did is now causing the earth to heat up and shake a lot. Laughing

It has to be something we did. The earth just doesn't have weather changes all by itself.

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
Midnight Blues
Vinyl`meister

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:23 pm

What I believe is actually happening is the earths axis is seizing on its bearings and this is caused by us pumping out all the earths oil. The over heating of the axis is also causing global warming and the earth quakes, I think....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sstodvictory

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Besides plate tectonics, here is another real contributor to earthquakes - the slowing of the Earth's rotation speed. Hang onto your hats!

http://pages.prodigy.com/suna/earth.htm

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad Davis

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:18 am

sstodvictory wrote:
Besides plate tectonics, here is another real contributor to earthquakes - the slowing of the Earth's rotation speed. Hang onto your hats!

http://pages.prodigy.com/suna/earth.htm

Steve

That's all very fascinating, but I didn't see any mention of how human activity has caused the earth to slow in it's rotation by 2.2 seconds every 100,000 years.

This stuff just doesn't happen all by itself.

How can we increase the rotation speed to get us caught back up to God's time, so that we're living in the "true" moment and not in the past?

What does anthropocentric mean anyway??

Rad
Back to top Go down
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:35 am

EJinVA wrote:
Justpipes wrote:
shootist51 wrote:

Dang JP you dissappoint me, don't you mean it's an Obama plot.

lol!

It doesn't have to be said. Everyone, even though many that are now whining voted for the knucklehead, know that he is behind the entire conspiracy along with proposed healthcare taxation!
cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:24 pm

Human Centered....

The way to speed it back up is simple. Everybody just needs to run in the opposite direction of rotation.. Bada bing! Well unless MB is correct.. If MB is correct we need to wheel into Jiffy Lube and get 8-10 kazilion bbls of oil..(Can we get the Citrus Air Freshner this time?) Hopefully it isn't a bearing going out, the frikkin warranty just expired.

Rad Davis

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:59 pm

puros_bran wrote:

The way to speed it back up is simple. Everybody just needs to run in the opposite direction of rotation.. Bada bing! Well unless MB is correct.. If MB is correct we need to wheel into Jiffy Lube and get 8-10 kazilion bbls of oil..(Can we get the Citrus Air Freshner this time?) Hopefully it isn't a bearing going out, the frikkin warranty just expired.

Too late.

I just saw a video that said that the earthquake in Chile knocked the earth off its axis by about 3 inches and shortened the day by another few millionths of a second.

We're never gonna catch up now.

Rad
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Nonsense Rad, Congress can just enact a one time deal of something akin to Daylight Savings.. Everybody knows that cutting an inch off the bottom of a blanket and sowing it to the top makes it longer.

LL

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:16 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Human Centered....
Yup. In this case, by thinking of Nature as an entity with human emotion in an effort to understand it. By assuming that's how it must be approached.

To wit:

A door drifted half closed behind me the other day, and when I turned around I whacked my elbow. Hurt like hell. I wonder what I did to make the door mad at me?

I know, I'll set an open beer on the floor next to it tonight as a gift. Everybody likes beer. That will convince the door I like it, and it won't attack me again.

If someone you knew actually did that ^^^^, and was serious about it, you'd worry about them.

Having a major U.S. news source think in the same terms about all of planet Earth, though, doesn't raise an eyebrow. That's scary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: The most anthropocentric "news story" ever   Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Its just another religion LL.. Instead of worshipping God, Mans Reason, Totem poles or whatever they worship their idea of Earth. Its actually one of mans oldest religions disguised in new clothing, complete with anthropomorphic attributes up to and including gender.

The most anthropocentric "news story" ever
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1