HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hal O' The Wynd Tin

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
happypipester

Registration date : 2009-09-09

PostSubject: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi guys, I just got a tin of Hal O' The Wynd yesterday from my tobacconist's and noticed it was different in its markings than the Kohlhase, Kopp & Co. KG tins I've seen of say Red Rapparee or Black Mallory for example.. the bottom of the tin didn't have the white label with the tobacco's description, barcode, etc. The metal on the tin is a golden color rather than silver. The paper label on the side of the tin is a little different also, it says 4oz net instead of 100g., and the small KK&Co. KG design I've seen on the other blends I've bought wasn't anywhere on it... any info you guys could give me on who produced this tin and maybe roughly how old it is?

If I haven't been clear enough in my description of the tin, just ask Smile Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raf66

Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:02 pm

happy, let's see a pic of the tin so we can see what you're talking about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

PostSubject: HOTW Pics   Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:02 am

Hope these help... I tried to take pictures from all the angles I could... the parts of the label in between the front and back illustrations have no text or other designs on them. The bottom of the tin is much more gold looking than it is in the pic (the top is silver colored). Perhaps KK&Co. doesn't put their name on the tins of HOTW like they do with, say Accountant's Mixture or Black Mallory? Or maybe it's from a previous blender? I really have no idea.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:24 am

You will find your answer here:

http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/tobdatepaper.html

In short, it dates from the '70s - '80s and was produced by McConnell's in the UK. Good score indeed. A tin like this would easily fetch between $75-125 on eBay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:47 am

Holy cow! Shocked Wow, I'm glad I asked... now the question is save, smoke, sell, or trade lol...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:18 pm

Smoke it (or better still, share with me and I'll help you smoke it!).

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm curious as hell as to why any local shop would have a tin of 1970's/80's pipe tobacco still on it's shelves!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
raf66

Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Before smoking that, happy, I must say that I am a trained professional in being able to determine fraudulent tobaccos being passed off as gloriously aged originals. Well, ok, not really any training but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I'd be glad to help you smoke some of it. I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:57 pm

Beat it back to that store and comb
through the stock for more hidden gems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:54 pm

I'll be making a trip there ASAP (it's a long drive, and working around my schedule may be a bit tricky...)... I will post any new info in the Tobacco Jar section.

Also, keep an eye on the Trading Post... I may offer this tin and possibly any other tins of interest I find for sale/trade...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:25 am

This post has been delayed by a couple days (didn't have a lot of time to get online)... went to the tobacconists and guess what? There was one more tin of the McConnell's made HOTW!

I didn't see any other particularly interesting tins in the store, but the owner sometimes brings in tins from his personal cellar from what I've heard from one of his grandsons, so I'll keep an eye out...

Well fellas, I do believe I'll be making a post in a short while in the trading post section for one of the HOTW tins... so, if you're interested, see the trading section and pm me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arko

Registration date : 2010-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:58 am

Oh, man, that's a nice score! HOtW is absolutely one of my favorite smokes -- I enjoy it on a daily basis!

Congrats and ENJOY big time! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brentona

Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Tue May 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Had a similar encounter myself, however I got one of the early 70's tins. The blended BY Charles Rattray with the silver bottom; only $15!
Gotta love hidden tins in small tobacconists!
(I posted a thread in the PAD / TAD section with pics)

Cheers and Smoke Well!!
-- Brent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Wed May 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Congrats! cheers

Ain't that the truth! Wonderful thing about it is the tobacconist has great taste, and from the sound of it, he has a huge cellar at home and it isn't uncommon for him to bring in tins with some good age on them to sell (at the normal price, not the big sums you'd find them going for on eBay).. plus he's just a wonderful guy to be around.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Thu May 13, 2010 2:05 am

happypipester wrote:
Congrats! cheers

Ain't that the truth! Wonderful thing about it is the tobacconist has great taste, and from the sound of it, he has a huge cellar at home and it isn't uncommon for him to bring in tins with some good age on them to sell (at the normal price, not the big sums you'd find them going for on eBay).. plus he's just a wonderful guy to be around.

Cheers!

Where are you from if you don't mind me asking. That would be funny if you are talking about the same tobacconist that Brent and I got those Rattray tins from!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Fri May 14, 2010 9:17 pm

I'm guessing it's not the same place, but I got them from Ted's Tobacco in Lincoln, NE. It's a smaller place, but the tobacconist (Ted Wright) has good taste in tobacco and pipes, and is just a wonderful fellow to talk to, so I try to support them. If you ever get a chance to stop there (or the Omaha store, though the focus there is more on cigars), it's a nice place.

Cheers!
HP
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Wed May 26, 2010 7:08 am

AHHHHHH, come on brothers, I'm all green with envy!!!!
Back to top Go down
BLM25Super

Registration date : 2011-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:26 pm

I plan to make an order later on today. #1 I will definately order some highland targe, and two other rattray tins what are the best other two blends? Hal o the wynd and red rapparee? Just wonder. Have only tried highland targe and black mallory amd marlin flake. Marlin flake and highland targe were the best imo. But im onoly gonna purchase the highloand targe of those three, buit would like to purchase maybe two others that are highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:51 pm

You have only mentioned one of the Big Four that are usually extolled, Marlin Flake. Hal O' the Wynd, Brown Clunee and Old Gowrie are the other three. All are straight VAs although I believe I read a reference that said HOTW contained Perique. If so I would say that like the Heinrich Curlies, it is a small amount.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Itinerant

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:23 pm

I got a similarly aged tin of Black Mallory at the local Tinderbox, but it had already been opened and needed some TLC before it resumed being glorious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:05 pm

Just in case anyone is interested  (it's been a while but I still love BoB!) I have posted one of the tins to eBay as a buy now or best offer.. a quick search there should bring it up :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
happypipester

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:03 pm

My apologies if anyone has looked for it and had no luck, I didn't realize it sometimes takes up to 24 hours for an item to post lol.

Any folks who have had vintage HOTW? It's quite an interesting critter once it's been aged, though it's been a while since I smoked it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:22 pm

When it's up on the bay could you please provide a link? And even then, it probably belongs in the trading forum. That would be helpful.

Not saying I'm going for it, just curious as to what this is expected to fetch.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
happypipester

PostSubject: Re: Hal O' The Wynd Tin   Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:18 pm

Absolutely, I'll post it in the Trading section. I'd considered just posting it there originally since it's more fitting but thought heck it's an older post with a somewhat fun story (amazing that it was in my tobacconist's for so long... you never know what you might find) that some of the folks newer to the forum might enjoy lol.

Best wishes everyone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hal O' The Wynd Tin
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: