HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend   Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:36 pm

Wow, What a srurprise. A selection of Mac Baren. is available on the RSA market sold in plastic pouches. As I don't do plastic pouch baccy as it is difficult to cellar. I have ignored it for some years now being under the impression that it may somehow be inefrior quality and not worthy of a tin.

Known in th USA as golden Extra it is marketed here and in Europe a Golden blend. For those of you who love burley, this is a must try.
At first glance you know you are dealing with quality tobacco. It is offered in a broken flake form. The package refers to it as Ready rubbed but slightly crunched is more like it. Interesting that the pouch contains some full flakes, some a bit broken and the rest rubbed slightly. It smell good and one cant miss the power of burley here. There is a slight hint of citrus and nuts but the smell is more natural than aromatic. (I do not like strong Aro much)

The first bowl came straight out of the package. It was a little sharp and rough around the edges but I felt it had merit from the word go. The second bowl after dinner was a pleasant surprise. I filled the bowl "stuff and puff" style. the tobacco had time to breath and mix with air for a couple of hours. I must say, I really enjoyed it. Golden blend is a little monotoned and uncomplicated. Not mentioned on the package but there must be a fair bit of VA in this blend. At stages the burley opens the door for a typical VA sweetness to come through. This is very much in the background though.
The sweetness is natural in flavor though. At stages I get a little hint of what one finds in OGS in terms of a citrus taste. Some folks express that these is a strong sense of honey and chocolate but I did not find this the case at all. Infact, the slight sweetness that may be present is mostly natural.

Golden Blend a clean burning baccy, infact it is one of the cleanest burning blends I have smoked in a long time. It produces a cool dry smoke with little changes in character from the top to the bottom of the bowl. The tobacco burns evenly and slowly producing a fine powdery ash at the bottom of the bowl.

The only criticism I have here is that it needs to be smoked slowly or at a moderate pace. If smoked to fast it has the tendency to bit the roof of your mouth like a rabid dog. This may be an unfair statement as the samples I have tried are quite young and fresh out of the packaging. The Second bowl some hours later was bite free and mellower in taste.

I am impressed with this blend. It is a basic tobacco good for easy everyday smoking. I was so happy with the samples that I have smoked that I will purchase some 250g to cellar. Although burley may not age as well as VA, I am sure that a couple of years in the cellar will improve this blend 10 fold.

For those of you who enjoy burley this is a must try. As mentioned this is definitely not a pure burley bled like say Pete Irish flake or C&D Safe Harbor Flake. There a a little more balance to it with the VA added producing a mild smoke with a fantastic room note.

I score this blend a cool 7.5 outa 10. Maybe I should add two marks extra for being one of the few decent baccies redly available in South Africa besides Peterson.
cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend   Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Piet.....I found your post quite interesting, notably about the blends name. Way back in '60's when I smoked this blend, it was Golden Blend. The name changed a few years later (don't know exactly when or why) to Golden Extra. I had no idea it was marketed overseas by it's old name!!! Glad you enjoy it!!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend   Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:36 am

Jip Ftrplt...... I made an inquiry as to why at the local baccy shop, no one can tell me why.
Back to top Go down
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend   Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:54 am

Some focus group will have decided that "Extra" would sell more in North America. I imagine in China they call it Mr. Happy Smoker's Golden Extra Pearl Dragon Blend. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend   Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:00 am

Sasquatch wrote:
Some focus group will have decided that "Extra" would sell more in North America. I imagine in China they call it Mr. Happy Smoker's Golden Extra Pearl Dragon Blend. Very Happy

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tennessee Dave

Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend   Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks for your review.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend   Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Tennessee Dave wrote:
Thanks for your review.

Pleasure TD.
By the way..... the stuff is getting better. 50g spent a week in a large bail jar and got some air...... It has actually improved a bit!
Back to top Go down
pipespidey

Registration date : 2011-12-24

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend   Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:45 pm

I discovered Golden Blend as a young college student in the mid 60's. While I never thought of myself as the "pipe smoking type" (whatever that is) back then, I could sit in my living room with a bowl full of Golden Blend for an hour, savoring it's unbelievable flavor, enjoying every last taste. I became hooked, and had several bowls per week for the next year and a half.

One day my current 4 oz tin needed replacement, and I went to the usual store to stock up. Alas, Golden Blend had been replaced with "Golden Extra." The clerk told me it was just a renaming, so I bought a tin.

It was NOT the same, the uniquely superb flavor was missing! It was similar, but not the same. I jumped into my car and hit every tobacco selling store in this small college town - Gone! Everywhere I went they only had Golden Extra! My despair was hard to describe - I had discovered one of the finest pleasures in the known world, and it disappeared overnight . . .

I have smoked lots of Golden Extra in the last 45 years, but I can categorically state that it is not the same as the original Golden Blend in the U.S. back in the 60's. Every few years I hit the Internet to search for some discussion regarding Golden Blend, and today I stumbled across this dated forum. Interesting that MacBarens has again renamed it, but I am not holding much hope that they have returned to the original 45 year-old recipe. Oh heck, it's worth a try!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dottie Warden

Registration date : 2014-04-19

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend   Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:32 pm

It is now 2016, and although pipe smokers have been enjoying this blend for over half a century it is still a blend worth exploring. I recently cracked a tin with a couple of years or so on it and WOW, I just can't put it down. The OP did a good job on the description, however in my case I do get some honey flavor out of it. I can see how this codger blend could get overshadowed by the more exotic sounding blends but Golden Extra is a righteous smoke.

I'll be adding more to my cellar while it's still available.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend   Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:46 pm

It was my main tobacco for a decade. Would like to revisit it. Don't know why I haven't--there's an unopened tin in my closet, and it's been there for a couple of years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dottie Warden

Registration date : 2014-04-19

PostSubject: Re: First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend   Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:56 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
It was my main tobacco for a decade. Would like to revisit it. Don't know why I haven't--there's an unopened tin in my closet, and it's been there for a couple of years.

Thanks for confirming it's quality. I always need Burley on hand and I find this blend does the trick. This stuff is so easy to smoke it makes for an all day every day smoker but I'll still keep some Irish Flake and University Flake on hand for when I need some Burley kick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

First Impressions Mac Baren Golden extra/Golden Blend
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1