HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:24 am

OK Gents, I'm leaving myself wide open for a shot or two here so please excuse my ignorance!
RonA just sent over some Stokkebye Bullseye medallions, As we do not get such luxuries here I have never had the pleasure of smoking it.
So...... how do you prepare those pesky little circles for smoking???

What say you?????
Back to top Go down
Buddy Springman

Number of posts: 1102
Registration date: 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:09 am

I share your curiousity. I'm a newbie to these too and haven't settled on any method.

Buddy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:26 am

Buddy Springman wrote:
I share your curiousity. I'm a newbie to these too and haven't settled on any method.

Buddy
Cool Buddy, so we will hang around here and find out! Question
Back to top Go down
old_salt

Number of posts: 162
Registration date: 2008-06-09

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:47 am

Two schools of thought here, For LBF & Escudo. Escudo ,having the same coin
appearance, slightly different recipe.

Most prefer the roll & Stuff, Just separate the coins [ sometimes they're stuck together
in the tin.] Then roll the coins into a loose tube then insert into bowl with a slght twisting motion like your screwing the tobacco in

Some do varying degrees of rubbing out as would be the practice with any other flake
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:54 am

Thanks for the advice Old Salt!!
Flakes I have smoked a lot of but was wondering about medallions as the baccy is rolled in layers, here having a wee bit of Black Cavendish in the center. I do most of the time roll & stuff flakes if they are thin enough and not to dry!
Back to top Go down
Hunter5117

Number of posts: 706
Tobacco: Virginias and VaPers with lots of McClellands being my favs
Pipe: Brighams, Pete's
Registration date: 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:15 am

Piet, LBF along with PS luxury twist flake have become 2 of my favorites, especially considering the reasonable price they sell for. For me, LTF definitely smokes best if you fold it (make sure the folded edge breaks so you get distinct broken strands of tobacco) then roll the doubled up flake into a roll and insert into the pipe. I try to leave it loose with lots of air space, don't stuff it.

For LBF, I usually start the same way, fold the coin in half and roll up as above. However, because it is a coin instead of a flake, folding does not expose as many broken ends, so after folding and rolling I will twist gently, causing the strands of tobacco to line up parallel with each other. Then I insert into the pipe bowl, again trying not to compress or stuff too much. Folding also places the little cavendish bullseye at the top so I get that flavor working early before the vaper kicks in.

Pipe does make a big difference with both of these, I find a narrow chamber with lots of wall thickness like a dublin is a good choice, I really feel that the thickness of the bowl walls hold extra heat, permitting the tobacco to release its goodness without needing to puff and get the tobacco itself too hot. Just my thinking on the subject, seems to work with a lot of the flakes I enjoy. Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:40 am

Brilliant Hunter... thank you for the advice and taking time out to stop by!
Back to top Go down
Kapnismologist

Number of posts: 1136
Registration date: 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:19 am

The advice above is dead on (I simply ball them up and twist them in myself); the only thing I would emphasize is that one should be sure to leave a good sized 'air pocket' at the bottom of the bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
randyw41

Number of posts: 11
Tobacco: Peter Stokkebye flake tobaccos.

For an aromatic, I like RLP-6
Pipe: Big Ben Oxford

Erik Nording Freehand - an excellent pipe, best in my lineup...
Registration date: 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:43 am

For me, after much trial and error, I found that breaking the rings up in little pinches seems to do the trick, and the cavendish gets mixed in with the rest. I was wondering if P.S. makes something like this with a bit more of the cavendish? pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Blues

Number of posts: 488
Tobacco: PS Luxury Bullseye, Luxury Navy, Luxury Twist, Escudo, Orlik Golden Sliced, PA, CH, SWR.
Pipe: Savinelli Roma Prince 313, Stanwell Nordic 255, Comoy's Royal Guard Pot 495, Several 70's Grabow Starfires
Registration date: 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:45 pm

Piet, I fully rub them most of the time. It's just a matter of choice. I have never had much luck with the fold method. The baccy seems to burn uneven for me, so I usually just rub them, let them dry and light it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Number of posts: 5248
Tobacco: Davidoff Flake Medallions, Reiner Long Golden Flake
Pipe: Sara Eltang Christmas Pipes 11 and 18 of 30
Registration date: 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm

I always rub out the coins... Flakes most of the time as well.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
flytyer

Number of posts: 672
Tobacco: Commonwealth,Golden sliced, SPC plum pudding, Skiff, SG Navy Flake, Three Nuns, Meat Pie
Pipe: all kinds
Registration date: 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:34 pm

I usually fold them an twist them a little to break up the layers abit as i'm putting them in the bowl. Thru trial and error i found out that they burn better when the layers are slighlty broken up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:16 pm

WOW, this thread has come alive again, thanks for the help and advice once again chaps!!! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
bruins

Number of posts: 1293
Tobacco: still lookin'...i mean smokin'
Pipe: Binsbergen poker, Sasieni
Registration date: 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:23 am

odd piet, i rub them out, based on your advice (weird). but hey, i'm going to try this fold over method!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falconer

Number of posts: 1015
Tobacco: Kingfisher, Solani ABF, Escudo, Honeydew, and Hamborger Veermaster.
Pipe: 2 Piet Binsbergens, Sasieni 4 dot dublin, 1970 Preben Holm Ben Wade freehand, and I'm partial to Prince shapes. Still looking for a dark rustic bent Prince.
Registration date: 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??   Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:49 am

bruins wrote:
odd piet, i rub them out, based on your advice (weird). but hey, i'm going to try this fold over method!

Bru, after you've been rubbing them, it might be hard to fold it. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile

How to smoke Stokkebye Bullseye Medallions??

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next