HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

David Jones and other amazing pipe artists

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ultraman

Number of posts: 76
Tobacco: Boswell Premium Burley, Anniversary Kake, McCranie's Red Ribbon
Pipe: Tonni Nielsen Bent Brandy, Yuriy Akslon figs, David Jones bent billiard, Adam Davidson almond, J Alan tomato, Roush Rhodesian
Registration date: 2010-05-31

PostSubject: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:52 pm

I've recently acquired some truly amazing pipes and hope to review them over the next couple of weeks.

There are some really great carvers that I don't feel get the attention they deserve, but who make beautiful and excellently engineered pipes.

One of these carvers is David Jones, who is pretty well known in the US (I believe). His pipes tend toward traditional shapes and are quite generous in size. The briar is well aged and extremely light. Best of all, the two I own are AMAZING smokers. The crazy thing is that the prices for Mr. Jones' pipes are criminally low. They represent an incredible value for the money and smoke much better than some of the pipes I own carved by the European superstars.

Anyway, I'll be posting pics and reviews soon, in hopes that more people will recognize and enjoy the work of Mr.Jones and some other carvers.

I'd love to hear if there are other carvers whose work you really enjoy, but maybe we don't hear of often. Please post your favorites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Number of posts: 3766
Tobacco: Exhausted Rooster
Pipe: Rad Davis Golden Blast Apple
Registration date: 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:10 pm

I have one - great pipe:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

Number of posts: 1136
Registration date: 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:37 am

I've seem them on eBay, but never for 'criminally low' prices? When can one score them for such a price?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ultraman

Pipe: Tonni Nielsen Bent Brandy, Yuriy Akslon figs, David Jones bent billiard, Adam Davidson almond, J Alan tomato, Roush Rhodesian

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:03 am

I'm smoking one of my Jones pipes right now. I won it for $65 on eBay and haven't seen one go for over $80. Of course, expense is relative but I've paid more than that for factory pipes. This is handcrafted by David and sold by him via eBay right here in the USA Smile

If you want something special, you can also contact David through his website.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetongue1
Tobacco Hoarder At Large

Number of posts: 2177
Tobacco: Bosun Cut Plug
Pipe: Tim Hynick POY
Registration date: 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:29 am

I have two of David's pipes, both great smokers, Ken tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Ultraman wrote:
I'm smoking one of my Jones pipes right now. I won it for $65 on eBay and haven't seen one go for over $80. Of course, expense is relative but I've paid more than that for factory pipes. This is handcrafted by David and sold by him via eBay right here in the USA :)

If you want something special, you can also contact David through his website.

Those sound like fair prices, a bit less than a regular Tinsky for example. So, maybe I should get one? There is one listed right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300440833338&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

How much do you think I should bid for it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ultraman

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:21 pm

I never bid on anything until near the end of the auction. At that time, see how high the bids are and decide the most your willing to pay for the pipe Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Alright, well I think I will go $65.01 on this and see what happens. Thanks for the head's up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:17 am

Six hours to go, and it currently sits at $55 even. Will I actually win it for $65.01?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:02 pm

4 1/2 hours to go, and I already lost it. Well, someone will get a good pipe for under $80. Oh well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:59 pm

$80 total ... oh well. Maybe the next one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:33 pm

A David Jones goes for over $80 - doh!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300444314945&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kapnismologist

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Here we go ... a David Jones for $59.25:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300444938815&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Number of posts: 3766
Tobacco: Exhausted Rooster
Pipe: Rad Davis Golden Blast Apple
Registration date: 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Shit!! Look what I did. Sad

I dropped it and the shank snapped like a twig.
It was a very sharp, clean break. I lightly painted
both surfaces with wood glue and clamped it for a
couple of days. I can't detect the repair and I
smoked it tonight. So far, so good. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Number of posts: 4019
Registration date: 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: David Jones and other amazing pipe artists   Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:18 am

Can't trust you kids with anything,,,,I wonder if it would have broke if it wasn't rusticated,,,hope it holds for you

puros_bran wrote:
Nobody wants to Mod and nobody wants to be moderated....

Back to top Go down
View user profile

David Jones and other amazing pipe artists

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next