SOTD: Shave of the day

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOTD: Shave of the day   SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 10:05 am

RetLEO-07 wrote:
Mornin’ BoB! Did you remember to “Fall back”? If not YOU’RE LATE!! or maybe early. Depends I guess. Another shave week commences. Using my ‘52 Gillette Super Speed Black Tip with a Shark Super Chrome blade this week. Have a great shave, have a great day!SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 Db001910

How do you like the Shark blades? I've been using Big Ben but am almost close to running low. Bought a 200 pack a couple years ago and haven't thought about blades in years lol. Or any other blades recommendations you have?
Back to top Go down
RetLEO-07

Registration date : 2019-09-26

PostSubject: Re: SOTD: Shave of the day   SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 03, 2019 10:19 am

D L:
Depending on the razor, I use Voskhod’s or Gillette Silver Blues. I have a pack of NOS GEM blades that were manufactured in 1943 that I use in my NEW Short Comb sometimes
They were PAL, not GEM, my badSOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 41f3b510
Back to top Go down
RetLEO-07

PostSubject: Derby Shave Stick SOTD Head Cold Edition   SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 9:14 am

Morning BoB! Broke out the Derby Shave stick this morning. Day 2 of this blasted head cold...SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 53bef010
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: SOTD: Shave of the day   SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 2:05 pm

I believe that is the first time a razor had aluminum on it. I leave one in the shower that I picked up at a garage sale for a couple bucks. In case I missed a spot and can make quick work of it while showering.
Back to top Go down
RetLEO-07

PostSubject: Re: SOTD: Shave of the day   SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2019 2:10 pm

They were either steel or aluminum. Not sure which mine is. I never put a magnet on it. With the Shark Super Chrome blades it shaves like a dream
Back to top Go down
RetLEO-07

PostSubject: TGIF/RED Friday SOTD   SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2019 9:23 am

Morning BoB!! Last shave of the work week. As is my wont, it’s a Bay Rum shave. Have a good ‘un!SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 Bc097510
SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 8772d710
Back to top Go down
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: SOTD: Shave of the day   SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 23, 2019 10:47 pm

Didn’t get a pic of everything but I ordered a tub of Taylor’s of old bond street Sandalwood shave cream. Awesome stuff and slick as owl crap. 1939 Gillette DE razor a old made rite badger brush. Can’t remember which blade I used but it was in the razor emporium starter razor set.
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: SOTD: Shave of the day   SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2020 11:59 am

I can definitely be dense, but wet shaving has really pushed the extent in which I'm slow to learn. I started out with the standard 3-pass process. With the grain (WTG), Cross the grain (XTG). Against the grain (ATG). I eventually found it lacking, mostly because that single XTG was insufficient for my beard growth. Each side of my face mostly grows in the direction of chin to ear. Going with XTG in one direction meant that I would basically leave one side of my face lesser shaved after that pass. The answer? A 4-pass process. WTG--XTG right to left--XTG left to right--ATG. Which created a new problem: shaving for 45 minutes. Now, a less dense person would quickly remedy that ridiculous time suck. Not I. Every time I shaved, I was having moments of internal dialogue that I had to try something else. I even often entertained a 1-pass shave (WTG) and just be done with it. See...if I'm going to shave, I want a baby smooth shave with no missed spots. It's a lofty goal to think that is going to happen every shave. I didn't want to find myself a couple hours after a shave being disappointed. I had to really fight that...and much harder than I care to admit.

After too long of time, I finally tried something new: the 2-pass shave. WTG--ATG (with buffing technique to clean up those feisty spots). It's been working surprisingly well. If I had to guess, I'm getting 90% of the shave vs my 4-pass process, but I'm saving 15 minutes or so. I'm good with that exchange.

My goodness am I slow to try something new or to connect cause with effect (mostly in the building lather area).
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: SOTD: Shave of the day   SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 07, 2020 9:52 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
I can definitely be dense, but wet shaving has really pushed the extent in which I'm slow to learn.  I started out with the standard 3-pass process.  With the grain (WTG), Cross the grain (XTG).  Against the grain (ATG).  I eventually found it lacking, mostly because that single XTG was insufficient for my beard growth.  Each side of my face mostly grows in the direction of chin to ear.  Going with XTG in one direction meant that I would basically leave one side of my face lesser shaved after that pass.  The answer?  A 4-pass process.  WTG--XTG right to left--XTG left to right--ATG.  Which created a new problem:  shaving for 45 minutes.  Now, a less dense person would quickly remedy that ridiculous time suck.  Not I.  Every time I shaved, I was having moments of internal dialogue that I had to try something else.  I even often entertained a 1-pass shave (WTG) and just be done with it.  See...if I'm going to shave, I want a baby smooth shave with no missed spots.  It's a lofty goal to think that is going to happen every shave.  I didn't want to find myself a couple hours after a shave being disappointed.  I had to really fight that...and much harder than I care to admit.

After too long of time, I finally tried something new:  the 2-pass shave.  WTG--ATG (with buffing technique to clean up those feisty spots).  It's been working surprisingly well.  If I had to guess, I'm getting 90% of the shave vs my 4-pass process, but I'm saving 15 minutes or so.  I'm good with that exchange.

My goodness am I slow to try something new or to connect cause with effect (mostly in the building lather area).

I've trod this path, Zeno, and it took me approx. 5 years to get to the point where I'm happy with the end results. My morning routine is pretty hectic with getting the kids out of the door so after a hot shower and face lather, like you I'm an ATG WTG man. Some days I'll even shorten that to ATG only, but whichever I choose it's always a short rapid buffing technique too. This leaves me a very close shave that tempts one to admire the smoothness throughout the day.
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: SOTD: Shave of the day   SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 3:42 pm

One of the tools I've been unsatisfied with is the bowl. I don't want to spend more than $5-7 on a bowl. I wish I knew how to throw clay. I'd try to make my own and fit it to a chocolate melter to keep the lather warm. Not a huge concern, but if I was going to make something of my own, I'd experiment with luxury.

I don't think you're limited to a shaving bowl. I know some of the UK guys have found textured bowls in craft stores, but I haven't found anything to my liking in nearby stores. I also know that Stirling is selling a dog bowl as a shaving bowl. It has little raised clips in the bottom so dogs won't eat too fast and get sick, and it is small for a smaller dog or for traveling. Timeless makes a bowl that seems like it would work well, but I'm not paying $12+shipping.
https://www.maggardrazors.com/product/timeless-razor-blue-plastic-shaving-bowl/

The other day, I got a take-out bowl container that is working really well. The one problem is that it retains zero heat, but I can live with that. It was free. Like one of the smaller ones here with all the ridges on the bottom.
https://www.anchorpackaging.com/brands/incredibowls-2/
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: SOTD: Shave of the day   SOTD: Shave of the day - Page 4 EmptyFri May 22, 2020 12:32 pm

I was really lazy today. I settled for a single pass, WTG shave. A long time ago I was gifted a tube of Dr.Carver's Easy Shave Butter. I tried it once and thought I'd save it for traveling rather than bringing soap, a brush, etc. I don't like this stuff. You use a lot of it. I don't like the consistency of it. It's sort of gooey and clogs up the razor. Doesn't really rinse off well. Isn't that slick at all. I felt the razor skipping a couple times. When I was rinsing off the razor, some of it wouldn't come off until I rubbed it with my fingertip. The post-shave was odd. I didn't feel dirty or like there was a layer of something on my face, but I didn't feel fresh and clean either. I'm still going to save it for when I travel, but if I was going to do this again, I'd grab the Cremo.
Back to top Go down

SOTD: Shave of the day
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Haberdashery-
Jump to: