Hot Peppers

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Hot Peppers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 10:08 am

GeoffC wrote:
I'll just leave this right here . .  .

https://www.andnowuknow.com/headlines/ed-currie-pucker-butt-pepper-co-tops-carolina-reaper-new-hottest-pepper-hp/melissa-de-leon/45067

I'll surely give this a try if I can find it. Sounds challenging!

bounce

Cheers,

RR

Hot Peppers - Page 2 Purple11x 3Hot Peppers - Page 2 Bombx10Hot Peppers - Page 2 Bombx10  Hot Peppers - Page 2 D6bddf10 Hot Peppers - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Hot Peppers - Page 2 Cowboy13Hot Peppers - Page 2 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Valdus

Valdus

Registration date : 2019-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 11:47 am

Foolish girls, should have drank milk or sugar. It kills the heat immediately.

Learned that in Mexico.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 15, 2019 7:32 pm

So I've now been through a second visit to the chili assortment and remain singularly unimpressed. Pretty much the same experience as before. Always wondering "when does the heat start"?

Actually there was one chili this time that got my attention. Not sure which one it was since some of these look similar. But... it didn't chew me up and spit me out. Just a pleasant heat for a while.

WTF?

Question

Cheers,

RR

Hot Peppers - Page 2 Purple11x 3Hot Peppers - Page 2 Bombx10Hot Peppers - Page 2 Bombx10  Hot Peppers - Page 2 D6bddf10 Hot Peppers - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Hot Peppers - Page 2 Cowboy13Hot Peppers - Page 2 4G80VIc

Back to top Go down
kingcobradude

Registration date : 2011-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 1:57 am

My limit on heat is Anaheim peppers. And even then they can be too much. One of my old coworkers once made salsa that he said had ghost peppers in it. Not sure I believe that though
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 2:13 am

kingcobradude wrote:
My limit on heat is Anaheim peppers. And even then they can be too much. One of my old coworkers once made salsa that he said had ghost peppers in it. Not sure I believe that though

Is he still alive?

Hot Peppers - Page 2 D6bddf10Hot Peppers - Page 2 29400910Hot Peppers - Page 2 114e6110Hot Peppers - Page 2 Ddb39b10Hot Peppers - Page 2 Cf77ce10Hot Peppers - Page 2 Dd692012Hot Peppers - Page 2 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
kingcobradude

Registration date : 2011-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 2:16 am

Blackhorse wrote:
kingcobradude wrote:

Is he still alive?

Who? My coworker? Yeah he is. Why? Am I missing something?
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 16, 2019 2:24 am

Brewdude wrote:
So I've now been through a second visit to the chili assortment and remain singularly unimpressed. Pretty much the same experience as before. Always wondering "when does the heat start"?

Actually there was one chili this time that got my attention. Not sure which one it was since some of these look similar. But... it didn't chew me up and spit me out. Just a pleasant heat for a while.

WTF

RR

Hey RR...ever hear of Salvador Molly’s?  They specialize in super hot fritters dipped in super potent pepper sauce. There are two versions...habanero and Carolina reaper. You can buy the fritter batter mix online.

https://salvadormollys.com/great-balls-of-fire/

Hot Peppers - Page 2 D6bddf10Hot Peppers - Page 2 29400910Hot Peppers - Page 2 114e6110Hot Peppers - Page 2 Ddb39b10Hot Peppers - Page 2 Cf77ce10Hot Peppers - Page 2 Dd692012Hot Peppers - Page 2 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
glassjapan

glassjapan

Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 17, 2019 10:44 am

Brewdude wrote:

WTF?

Question

Cheers,

RR

I'm usually pretty comfortable in the 100-150K Scoville range. But when I read you talking about hot peppers it always draws me back to the Texas Chili Cookoff:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/544975/posts

Back to top Go down
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 17, 2019 8:43 pm

I have been adding fresh jalapenos to everything lately, eggs, pasta, salads, coleslaw, and dips. The burn factor has been spot on without any singe or lingering effects. I'm not sure of the origin of the peppers but will guess Colorado or New Mexico.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 24, 2019 7:15 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

WTF

RR

Hey RR...ever hear of Salvador Molly’s?  They specialize in super hot fritters dipped in super potent pepper sauce. There are two versions...habanero and Carolina reaper.  You can buy the fritter batter mix online.

https://salvadormollys.com/great-balls-of-fire/

Forgot to respond to this.

No am not familiar with Salvador Molly's. I prefer eating the chilies whole. Not much on cooking these days.

Tried another round of Ghost Pepper chilies and same experience - meh! I'm starting to feel the growers are going for the lower HP in order to sell their wares. Every single one has been mild at most. WTF! No

In the meantime I've gone back to Habaneros. At least some of them have some heat! And they also have a fruity flavor.

Hot Peppers - Page 2 9k=

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 7:20 pm

Had a hankering to re-explore the hottest of the hot so just finished a container of Scorpion Peppers rated at 1,400,000 scoville units. I'd had these before in a couple assortments and was unimpressed. Guess I wondered if the few I'd had were not truly representative.

There were 7 peppers in this container. All fairly large too, compared to say a Habanero. The largest one was canary yellow, the others as red as a tomato. I ate the largest red one first, but didn't just try and eat the whole thing at once. That would be suicidal!

One thing I noticed right away was that the flavor apart from the heat was somewhat off-putting. Hard to describe but I'd call it a "dirty" flavor. Not pleasant. Can't say I remembered that from the assortments I'd tried. Not encouraging. Don't think I finished it for that reason. Not sure about the heat level.

Next I tried out the big yellow one and this was several orders of magnitude better in the flavor dept. Hard to describe but the flavor seemed kind of mild and neutral. There was some serious heat going on here which ramped up as one got to the stem area where the seeds are. Didn't quite finish it completely but came pretty close.

So it was with some trepidation that I embarked on eating the remainder of the red ones. But have to say that I'm glad I persevered as they were much better in terms of flavor. In fact the flavor reminded me much of tomatoes.

In all cases here, the heat factor was pretty aggressive and I only managed to finish one complete pepper from the remainder. I like the hot but I do have my limits. Yet I did them all justice.

My final thoughts are such that I'll probably avoid getting in any more Scorpion peppers for the time being. Habaneros seem to be my go-to's these days and have the right balance of flavor/hot.

Iffen you're not familiar with Scorpion peppers here's a pic-

Hot Peppers - Page 2 2Q==

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

Registration date : 2016-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 5:45 pm

I bought up some Hatch chilis at kroger the other day.  I chopped them and frozen them for Chili this winter.

I did notice they seem to be on the mild side this year
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Hot Peppers   Hot Peppers - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2020 12:18 pm

History Prof 1861 wrote:
I bought up some Hatch chilis at kroger the other day.  I chopped them and frozen them for Chili this winter.

I did notice they seem to be on the mild side this year

My experience with hatch chilies have all been on the mild end of the spectrum. Not hot at all.

However there was this one frozen entree which was mac & cheese + hatch chilies and that was impressively hot! Sadly they disco'd it probably for being too spicy for most folks. Tried to make it myself from scratch but it was a failure.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down

Hot Peppers
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: