HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America? Empty
PostSubject: When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America?   When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America? EmptyWed May 20, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone has the answer to this question.

I'm trying to narrow down the dates for the Danish pipe craze in the US and Canada as part of the research for the book I'm working on about Brigham pipes. All the sources I can find on Pipedia etc just say "the 1960s" - was that the early 60s? Mid 60s? Closer to 1970?

I promise I won't take any replies posted as the gospel truth without documentary evidence to back it up. I'm just trying to get a better sense of when the Danish Freehand craze started. I'm leaning towards mid-to-late 60s at this point, based on the nomenclature of my collection of Brigham Norseman and Valhalla pipes which bear stamps from either the 60s or 70s, depending on the pipe.

Thanks for any and all input.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dadspipes.com
Preben

Preben

Registration date : 2020-05-15

PostSubject: Re: When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America?   When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America? EmptyThu May 21, 2020 8:12 pm

From my own history and pipes/pipesmoking 1968 - but i believe it was a bit earlier. really popped in the very early 70's. (Not Gospel) Praise the Lord Preben!

heh heh heh
Back to top Go down
daveinlax

daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America?   When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America? EmptyThu May 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Double Post. Shocked

Last edited by daveinlax on Thu May 21, 2020 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
daveinlax

daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America?   When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America? EmptyThu May 21, 2020 9:30 pm

Without going to the davecave and looking through my cataloge library the Late 60's is when I see the high grade Danish artisans getting featured in The IRC Catalogs. I'm guessing that would be the same time for the low and mid price stuff in other retail and wholesale catalogs I have. The Dan and Dantoian pipes might have been in the early to mid sixties but i'm not sure. Bet there is some good info on Pipedia Shocked
Back to top Go down
Preben

Preben

PostSubject: Re: When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America?   When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America? EmptyFri May 22, 2020 6:22 am

ya forgot about pipedan!
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America?   When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America? EmptyMon May 25, 2020 9:36 am

Thanks gents!
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America?   When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America? EmptyMon May 25, 2020 9:53 am

daveinlax wrote:
Bet there is some good info on Pipedia Shocked

You might be surprised.... I have found tidbit mentions on pages for Celius, Harcourt, and a few others but it appears that no one has written up an article on the Danish Fancy boom.

From what I've gleaned, we're talking about the mid-60s through to probably the mid to late 70s.
Back to top Go down
Preben

Preben

PostSubject: Re: When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America?   When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America? EmptyMon May 25, 2020 10:23 am

harcourt is preben.also had some nice p holtropfnas!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Iaido

Registration date : 2019-12-08

PostSubject: Preben Holm   When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America? EmptyTue Jun 09, 2020 8:54 pm

My limited understanding is that Preben Holm started the freehand movement some pipes marked with his name and some Ben Wade in the 1970,s . Also either or both Pipes magazine and smokingpipes.com have some history articles on this. MTC good link on the book
I have one Holm and 2 Wade pipes and enjoy them often
Back to top Go down

When did the Danish pipe boom start in North America?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack :: Pipe History-
Jump to: